2 . b e a u t i f u l m u r d e r e r

Sunday came rolling by quite quick considering Amber and I stayed in because of a hangover. We didn't even do work but I dedicated today to solely focus on finishing — starting, really — assignments so I'm not at least behind with work.

I usually am.

What happened Saturday night... I didn't forget it. I couldn't. I know what I saw, and I saw Avery.

Avery Cax. Somebody I used to wish I never knew. Somebody I wish I apologized to when I had the opportunity but I didn't because I was scared. I was a coward. Seeing him Saturday night, older, mature and fully aware that he recognized me as much as I recognized him changed a lot.

I did my calculation and thought process: the only way an outsider can gain access to the grounds of my university is if they have a student card, or some sort of invite. Saturday's ceremony was exclusive. Outsiders were forbidden because I suppose the school knows what the young adults of this generation get up to when given access to open space. If that is the case, why was he there? What was he doing, drinking the alcohol provided by my university? Who gave him access?

How did he know I was there? Or did he just recognize me? The level of fear I carried throughout Sunday and most of today is crazy.

Because of my concerns and forever pounding heart, walking to school today had to be the worst thing only because I kept looking over my shoulders, wondering if maybe he was here. If maybe he was actually schooling here. If maybe he was following me.

I never saw him. My day was just fine.

My heart thumps quickly when I nearly trip over a staircase. No way will a whole staircase catch me lacking. My hand momentarily presses against my chest as I suck in air, then fish for my dorm keys in the front pocket of my bag.

Even before I could round the corner down the passage to my room, I slow down when I see Amber head towards me in a mini skip and her strawberry blond hair bouncing to every stump on the ground.

"You're leaving?"

"I'm meeting up with an old friend, babe. I'll see you when I come back." She quickly pulls me into a tight embrace, long enough to register but too short for me to actually hug her back. She pulls back and grins. "Oh, and you have a visitor. Good luck with that."

A visitor? If it is my mother, she could have called. She always shows up unannounced, and then lets my dad degrades me from top to bottom. "I... do?"

"Yeah. Okay, bye now. I've got to go." She taps my hip and starts skipping away. I can't even help but turn around and watch her leave, which ended up working out since she quickly stops and turns to face me. "Zee, if you cook, literally, eat enough. You have a tendency of not eating the food, hey."

"Yes, of course." I wave my hand at her and grin.

Amber grins back and then leaves, taking the stairs down — perhaps two at a time, she's one of those fit people.

I turn back and turn the corner as curiosity stirs in my chest. A visitor? Gosh if it's Nate wanting to tell me the date of our not-date.

I open the door and enter, closing it and turning towards the mini living room. I can feel my eyebrow raised as I walk further into the dorm before stopping. There isn't anyone here. I drop my bag close to the door.

"Hello?"

I hear the toilet flush only seconds later. Following that, the sound of the basin tap echos down the mini hall to our bedrooms, so I peer down the hall and wait curiosity.

"Ahm... hello?"

The bathroom door echoes it's open and out walks the last person I thought I'd have to deal with today. My eyes widen in pure shock, fear creeps through my pores and my lips part as I watch him exit and turn towards me. His steps are almost too calculated, head slightly tilted and his hazel eyes don't even dare to look anywhere else but into my dark holes.