4 . t e l l i n g s e c r e t s

"Tell your mom I saved your life!"

Before he could even complete his sentence, I scream and shift away from him fearfully, before frowning at the boy laughing at me. Dimples out, eyes shut and head thrown back like scaring me every once in a while is the best thing he can do for me.

"Can you st—" I lift my hand to hit him, but he's athletic so his reflexes kick in quickly, more than enough for him to move away from me. "Can you stop scaring me! It's not funny, and one of these days I literally will punch you in your throat."

"That's assuming you can reach, little mama." David grins as we fall into step besides each other. I was going to head to the gate, to initially head back to my dorm since it's end of day. I roll my eyes at the chocolate, fine specimen.

"You're annoying."

"I've been told." Despite his height, he links his arm with mine. "Are you going home?"

"Yes. I'm just a bit tired, you know? Where are you going?"

"Well, I'm going to the library. I don't know if you saw the message but the group's planning on just doing homework in the library for an hour or two and then head out. You can join us."

"I guess I'll... wait, is Avery going to be there?"

David shrugs and pouts his bottom lip for a second. "I don't know. He may be with Amber, but I'm not sure if they'll come to the library. Why?" He looks down at me. "You're not comfortable with him?"

"It's not that." It's partially that. "It's just... you know..."

"Still a bit awkward between the two of you, I get it. You know, I know you're all accepting of new people but honestly. No offense to him, he seems like a nice person and stuff, but if push comes to shove, we already know who we'd choose. We just met him, we've known you longer. He'd have to understand."

"It's not that easy, David. Especially if there's real history."

The history he's lying about. Or at least, a part of it he's lying about.

"I can't imagine. But just know I always have you, ntwana." [child] he dares to tap my head like I am an actual child. "I'll even spend lunch hours with you alone so you don't feel left out, say if he stays with the group and you still don't feel as comfortable."

I quickly realize we are walking in the direction towards the library.

I tsk at him before properly clicking my tongue. "I can't do that to Katlego, she'll get the wrong impression."

"Kat's cool. She'll understand—"

"Actually, now that we're speaking about her, why aren't you asking her out? It's so obvious you like her and she likes you too. You guys would work so well. You look good together, your dynamics even compliment each other."

David grins, dimples revealing as we round a small group of guys talking and laughing about. "Kat, neh? Listen, man. Kat and I have a good thing going. I don't think we want to make anything official as yet. We're really good friends and I guess we're trying to see if getting in a relationship will ruin the friendship aspect, say if we were to break up for whatever reason. You get me?" [right?]

My head nods. I guess it does make some sort of sense.

"But it's not like we're avoiding it. We're just taking our time and respecting each other."

"So you and Kat will soon be in a relationship, and then Qailah and Nathan. Wow this group is already filled with relati—"

"Woah, woah woah. Qailah and Nathan?" My jaw sags a bit at his shock. I blink at him before slowly nodding. The Zulu boy laughs loudly, body jerking backwards and in turn, I'm jerked a bit too since we still have our arms linked. I can't help but laugh, though. His laugh is like... hyenas. On steroids, or something. "You're lying!"