2 4 . c l o s e d d o o r s o p e n e d

I must have slept like a baby last night. Not once did I toss and turn. Not once did I feel like what I am deep down.

A murderer who thinks she's a victim as well but she's just a cold blooded coward of a murderer.

Coming to uni felt completely different than any other day before or after Avery's return. My head was held higher, my chest out, my strides held confidence. Throughout my morning classes, I paid attention. I listened. I took down notes. I felt like nothing could take me down.

The weight I had was lifted just a bit but it felt like I was on top of the world. I still do, even as I stride towards the cement benches where half of my group happens to be in this lunch hour. I smile at them, waving but not hugging anyone because then I'd have to hug Avery. He's here, comfortably so, and I think he notices my change in behaviour.

"You're glowing," Kat comments as she grins at me when I settle down besides her. "That's hot."

"I want to know who you had under your sheets last night." David grins at me, laughing when Kat playfully punches his arm.

I shake my head, placing my bag by my feet and I sigh with a smile. "I'm just in a good mood, that's all. Is that illegal?"

"It is when you don't tell us what's making you be in a good mood." Qailah smirks at me.

My eyes wander to Amber's, watching for a fleeting moment as she pops a small biscuit in her mouth with a grin. I look at Qailah again with a smile. "I just had a good night last night."

"Oh so you did have somebody under your sheets."

"No." I snap at him, glaring at him as I laugh. "Just got things off my chest with Amber."

Kat, with her infamous blonde wig seated perfectly on her head, glances between the natural blonde girl and I with an eyebrow up. "We're not keeping secrets, are we?"

"We're not. And I promise to tell you all when I can."

"You guys!" Our attention shifts towards the twins as they approach us. "You guys will not believe." That's Nathan, who jogs towards Qailah, bends her head backwards and kisses her upside down, making us either swoon or groan at their affection. I even shake my head since Qailah is right next to me, so I hear them groan about as their tongues lick the deepest part of their throats.

My heart flatters at the sight of Nate. Him and I still need to talk. What happened yesterday was out of this world and disrespectful to him. I need to apologise.

"What happened?"

"Nathan and I got one hundred percent for our project." Nate grins, settling besides Kat and Amber. He avoids eye contact with me at all costs, and understandably so, I have to accept it. It tears a bit of that confidence I had moments ago.

"Congrats!" Amber laughs. "That's the spirit we all need for our projects as well."

"Dude, even a fifty works for me." David says.

The group falls into small chat, and I smile and listen casually, freely. With no worry. I don't know why I thought it would last, because pretty soon, Avery calls me from across the table. I look at him, eyebrow up and waiting for him to say something. Even still, I take him in. Beige hoodie, I'm assuming light jeans since I can't see his lower half. Hair pushed back by a jaw hairband.

"Can I talk to you in private?"

Now, before I could give him my answer, it's Amber who speaks up. "I'm sure whatever it is you want to talk to her about can be spoken about in front of the group." A few of us look at her, picking up on the seriousness in her tone. "No need to be alone with her, Avery."