3 2 . d r u n k

Let's gooo!!!
<3

•••••••

I was close to not coming. Partially. Matter of fact, Amber was the one who technically forced me to come. If it wasn't for her lovely offer to borrow me a purple dress that seemed to fit me more than her, and me basically insisting I'd not be wearing heels, I'd probably still be back at my dorm under my blankets. Sleeping.

I partially confronted Amber about the whole group chat thing Nate brought up, but she brushed it off like it was nothing. Either that, or it didn't even exist. Even after insisting I know what the group chat is about, she said there wasn't such and I should stop being paranoid. "I didn't tell anyone, okay?" She kept saying as if I needed the reassurance.

I did, I still do, but that wasn't even the point. We left it at that, though.

My hand, my fingers are linked between Amber's as she pulls me further into the packed house. The other holds my phone against my chest in fear of losing it and possibly never finding it again. My eyes watch Amber; just how she looks around, how she smiles at everyone or even greets them. I remain quiet, of course, and follow like a lost puppy.

I think she's leading us to the group since she expressed that the rest of the group — including Nate and Avery — would be here. I don't know how I feel about that. Having both of them disappear seems about pleasant right now.

As soon as we get to the group, Amber makes it her mission to greet and hug everyone, but bitterly, I just smile and wave, keeping to myself. I don't make eye contact with Nate because of what happened yesterday, and I don't make eye contact with his brother because it's obvious he knows. That means, I don't make eye contact with Qailah because she is basically with Nathan and he obviously told her. I don't look at Avery, nor do I look at David who seems to be having conversations with him. Whatever happened to leaving Avery if things got bad between Avery and I?

I only look at Kat, and she raises an eyebrow at me as if telepathically asking me if I'm okay. I only smile and wave at her, to which she smiles back.

The group gets started with drinks — David somehow managed to get a bottle of gin and cups for us. He pours very little in each and allows us to get our own cup. Then, after we cheers and bump plastic cups together, I down my drink and mentally tell myself that this should be the last drink of the day. I don't want to get drunk nor tipsy, and I do plan on leaving here early.

"Let's get wasted!" Everyone cheers at whomever yells over the music, and I shriek back a bit in surprise. Parties aren't my thing. Huge events like this, that make me feel out of place, aren't my thing.

It's one thing having an event like we did at uni, in the beginning. It's a different thing, though, going to an uncontrollable party where alcohol is being provided left and right without restriction. Many people are going home drunk and if I could presume based on the amount of cars in the parking and down the streets, I'm sure this night won't exactly end... safe, for people.

My eyes wander over to Nate. He's downing shot after shot with no care, and I can see the partial drunk state he is in based on the hazy smile he gives when Amber says something to him.

I need to speak to him about yesterday. I need to clear things between him and I. I need to set boundaries for the both of us to respect. He didn't take me seriously with happened in the parking lot, so now maybe, just maybe he'll see that I'm being serious.

My eyes catch on to Avery's, and it's just like the first time. Him standing across the table scattered with alcoholic beverages, and he lifts his glass and downs the drink; eyes held in mine like the first time. Except this time I don't down a drink. Except this time, I don't panic. I just watch him.