6 . s k i p p i n g

"Give it to me straight."

I let go of the end of my pen from my teeth before lifting my tired eyes to look at Amber, who casually leans against the door frame of my bedroom with arms folded and a messy bun right above her head. Even in winter (it's close to the end of winter but still), she will be sure to wear the shortest night shorts available, so her bare legs are revealed.

"About what?"

"Yourself and Avery." Her eyebrow raises as she blinks her blue eyes at me. "You guys have something going on still."

Wouldn't this be the best time to tell her that he's lying to all of them about himself and I? I haven't dated the guy; never have I imagined dating him simply because him and I never got along most of the time. The only reason we were forced to attempt to get along was because of a common denominator — Michaela.

I sigh, placing my book down above my laptop and folding my arms. "If there's one thing you should know about Avery, is his ability to deceive people. You have to trust me when I say there's nothing going on between him and I, nor will there ever be." I casually allow my eyes to wander over her figure. "You're attracted to him, right? So have him."

"I can have him?"

"Of course."

"And you won't feel some type of way?"

"I'll never feel some type of way." I shake my head. "Do whatever with him, I honestly don't mind. Matter of fact, you'd be doing me the biggest favour ever."

She could distract him. I'm not sure for how long, but if she's persistent, it may be long enough to get him off of me for a while. A while is enough for me to breathe. Enough for me to process everything so far, and it's only been the second— third day. The third day with him around.

A week would kill me. Especially considering today's events. I don't even want to think of it.

Amber grins at me before leaning off the door frame. "Thanks, bestie. You're one of a kind."

I've heard those words before.

"What's for supper?"

"I didn't cook anything. I actually had something small before coming back. Did you eat?" I shake my head. Amber sighs, a clear disapproval expression stitches itself on her face. "You should eat something."

"I'm not hungry."

"Okay, but don't go to bed on an empty stomach."

"Yes, mom." My efforts to lighten this topic that seems to never leave me alone goes unnoticed when Amber smirks at me before waving her hand. "I need to try get some work done, so..."

"Of course. I'm going to bed early. Good night, Zee."

"Good night." I watch her exit my room and cautiously close my door. The silence in my roof rings in my ears, deafening me moments after I hear her own door close.

A heavy sigh releases from my mouth before I lean back against my headboard and close my eyes. I could literally sleep. I cannot even begin to explain where this tiredness is coming from.

Before dozing off, I hear my phone vibrate from the side table. My eyelids slowly pull apart and my hand reaches for the device. It's a new message from Nate.

Nate:
- Hey, you up?

I could just ignore it. I could just go to sleep so technically I'm no longer 'up'. My fingers click on the message and I type back my response.

Me:
- Just want to push through some work. What's up?

Not even a minute later, he responds.