3 1 . s u n f l o w e r s

It takes a good couple of seconds for me to blink and actually process what was asked. I even retract my head back as I stare at him with a sagging jaw. Not even my heart is thrusting inside my chest loud enough this time around.

I let out a breath of soft laughter and shock. "I... k-kiss?"

"Kiss." He nods, and his hand raises up to my cheek, caressing it but at the same time, trying to bring my head towards home. "I want to kiss you."

"N-Nate—" I can't. I'd be using him. This isn't making sense. "Wait... I don't think—"

"Don't think," he shakes his head. "Just feel."

I let him take over. I let him hold my jaw and cease every movement away from him as he leans down, closing every single last distance until his lips brush up against mine. I don't even think I'm able to move, to respond. My wide eyes just stare at his face as his close.

Then, he angles my face before pressing his lips firmly against mine. The are so warm, so soft so I know he exfoliates his lips. They feel so tingly, or maybe it's mine that are tingling. My hands, firmly by my sides and are fisted, tighten their grip on air and I close my eyes guilty as charged but trying to savour this moment.

Trying to give him the experience he's looking for, as I know torment will remain itching every corner of my mind.

He pulls away, places what feels like three light pecks before he pulls away completely. I enjoy my eyes just in time to see him grin, and because I don't want him to think I didn't enjoy this — I partially didn't, because I know it was wrong — I smile at him.

We then hear the clearing of a throat not too far from us, so we turn to look at the intruder. There stands Avery, arms folded over his chest and a very nonchalant look glued to every feature of his face. His eyes shift from mine, to Nate's, and then right back to mine before he gives the fakest concerned look.

For no reason whatsoever, a burst of butterflies emerge from the pit of my gut at the fact that he just witnessed us kissing. Nate kissing me, but nonetheless, I guess I did kiss him back.

"Sorry to interrupt." He takes a few steps closer. "I saw you guys here and I thought I'd come by to talk to you, Zeze. I didn't think you two would end up kissing. How awkward this is."

Nate lowers his hand from my face, standing straight as he partially glares at Avery. "Can we help you?"

"I came to talk to Zinhle." Avery glances at me, the corner of his lips raise up slightly, it almost goes unnoticed. "About Wednesday."

My heart now drops to my feet and I gulp. What about Wednesday does he want to talk about? The work? Me sitting on his lap? Him giving me hickies? Does he want to finally put my curiosity to rest by lifting my anxiety and telling me he did tell somebody? The group? Does Nate know?

I look up at Nate in question, who looks down at me and mirrors my expression.

"What does he want to talk about? What about Wednesday?"

He doesn't know, that means. I nervously shrug and look back at Avery. "About?"

"I think it's safe we talk in private." Avery chuckles, dropping his hands before stuffing them in his pockets. "But it's about the work. I wanted to tell you that I've completely the project."

The project? Completed? "What do you mean?"

"I did the work. It's done. I wanted to tell you that you don't have to worry about it. After Wednesday, I thought it would only be kind of me to do the work for you, and I did. It's done."

Gobsmacked. I don't know if he's lying or if he's telling the truth. Why would he tell the truth? Why would he lie about this? He couldn't have possibly done it by himself.