3 . t h e i n t r o d u c t i o n

I don't know how far gone in my thoughts I am, but I'm pulled back to reality when I feel a hand — Kat's hand — being placed on my shoulder. I lift my head to her and raise an eyebrow.

"Are you good? You've been zoning in and out today. Almost like you didn't sleep well last night. Did you eat well?"

I wave my hand dismissively at her and smile; it doesn't reach ear to ear, but I could only hope it's enough to convince her otherwise. "I'm fine. I'm a bit tired but I think it's because of school, really."

It's lunch hour. We happen to be sitting outside in the large, wide garden. Considering it's almost the end of winter, the dried up grass strands are still quite crunchy and the environment almost seems dead of nature. Everyone is dressed warmly but I can assure everyone is anticipating Spring and Summer to be hot. Well, those of us who like summer anyway.

Winter gave us demonstrations of the North and South Pole without any hesitation, and even if towards the end of it, it's quite lukewarm, I can almost be certain summer will show us the equator just as confidently.

The brown skinned girl hums and moves her blonde wig strands — she rocks it a bit too good, it comes off natural and I hate how I love it — over her shoulder. "Okay. Well, if you ever need help with school work, you know where to find me. I don't mind tutoring—"

"Okay, I'm not, like, completely useless." I grin at her. She does that a lot; say things to make people feel better, even if she doesn't realise it. "I'm fine. And Amber sometimes helps me since we're in the same dorm. But if she can't, I'll be sure to reach out to you."

"Good." The both of us grin, and then turn to Nathan when he clears his throat.

"Guys." He runs both hands through his hair. All four of us are seated at the round table. We claimed it just last year when we started sitting here, and ever since, I guess it's just been a habit of ours to come meet up here. "What's the best gift to give somebody who is an aunt but a nosey aunt who loves being in people's business?"

Qailah hums first, so we all naturally look at her as if she's going to respond. She doesn't.

Kat speaks up. "I say... a nice box of nothing."

Both Qailah and I scoff and snicker at her.

"It has to be something meaningful. Like a box of bugs, maybe, but I don't want the whole family to end up shouting at me. It has to be something maybe she'd understand. Like... a picture of a nose? Framed." He claps his hands and points his finger at Kat. "A picture of Pinocchio."

"Yes—" Qailah hisses the same time I say; "No."

Of course Qailah would agree to literally anything Nathan says. She likes him, new found news. She'd obviously make it seem like everything he says, even if he's wrong, is right.

"Why don't you just write her a heartfelt message expressing how you dislike her being nosey." I suggest, silently thanking Kat for the small lunch box filled with apple slices. I didn't pack food as I was running late for my first session and I tend to get lazy to pack or make food at times; Kat pushing her snack to me is so sweet.

She doesn't eat heavy food at school, but let it be alcohol provided by the school. She only brings snacks, but I appreciate it anyways since I have nothing and no money on me.

"Or, or." Kat quickly taps the table. "Money."

The three of us look at her weirdly. It's always her. It's literally always her.  "Money? Seriously?"

"Yeah. And tell her it's for surgery—"

"That's so mean!"

"Mean? Zee, it's perfect!" Nathan laughs with his head thrown back and his surfer-like hair dancing a bit in the cold breeze. "Money for surgery. Because she has a Pinocchio nose. She loves lying and she loves being nosey so the money works. And I'll include the framed picture of Pinocchio. I love it."