16: Nerd friends.

Y/n's pov

"Are you sure you're alright, Lucas?" I asked, turning to him as we walked back along the train tracks.

"Yeah, Y/n. I promise." He nodded.

I turned to him and quickly hugged him tightly, him hugging back almost immediately.

——

I had slept over at Lucas's that night, and we had talked about everything.

I never really realized how sad Lucas really was about all this stuff with Will.

"Thanks for letting me sleepover, Mrs. Sinclair." I beamed at the woman sitting across from me, pouring more syrup onto my waffles.

"You're always welcome here, sweetie." She smiled back at me.

——

"LUCAS, Y/N, YOUR NERD FRIENDS ARE HERE!" Erica yelled up the stairs.

"What?!" Lucas yelled back at her, the two of us running down the stairs.

In the doorway stood Dustin and Mike.

We all awkwardly stood there until Dustin shoved my brother.

"I drew first blood, so..." Mike said, cutting himself off.

Lucas stared at Mike's hand before speaking.

"You can come in." He sighed.

"Alright, I'll shake. On one condition, we forget the weirdo and go straight to the gate." Lucas said.

"No way!"

"Then the deal's off!" Lucas yelled.

"Seriously, guys? Do you even remember what happened on the bloodstone pass?" I asked, annoyed.

Lucas and Mike gave me confused looks but Dustin's face lit up in familiarity.

"We couldn't agree on what path to take, so we split up the party and those trolls took us out, one by one-" Dustin continued.

"And it all went to shit! And we were all disabled!" Dustin said.

"So we stick together. No matter what." I finished.

"Yeah, but, this is our party. Right here. No one else." Lucas said.

"El's one of us now." Mike commented.

"No! Not even close! She's a liar and a traitor!" Lucas shouted.

"She was trying to protect us! She didn't mean to hurt you, it was an accident!" Mike said.

"Accident?! Are you serious?!?" Lucas spat back.

"Accident or not.... admit it it was a little awesome." Dustin said.

"Awesome!?! I could have been killed!" Lucas yelled.

"She threw you in the air! With her MIND!" Dustin exclaimed.

"Which is exactly why we need her." I added. "She's a weapon."

"What? Were you seriously gonna take down the Demogorgon with your wrist rocket, Lucas?" Dustin deadpanned.

"That's like R-2 D-2 going to fight darth Vader!" Mike exclaimed.

"We're no use to Will if we're dead." Mike said loudly.

Lucas looked at them in disbelief.

"If you two wanna waste your time looking for a traitor, go ahead, 'cause I'm not spending my time on her anymore! No way! I'm going to the gate. I'm gonna find Will!" Lucas yelled, then shut the door in their faces.

I sighed.

"I'm sorry Lucas, but I need to help my brother." I said.

I quickly hugged him tightly before rushing out the door after Dustin and Mike.

"Mike! Dustin!" I yelled. "Wait up!"

They both stopped and turned to me, confused.

"Hop on." Dustin nodded to the back of his bike.

Word count: 473