14: The Lab.

Y/n's pov

Steve, Dustin, Lucas, Max and I continued to walk down a steep hill, following the cries of the Demogorgons to the lab.

"How much longer?" Max asked with a groan.

Steve huffed, stepping over another tree root to avoid tripping.

"Jesus, if one of you little shits asks me that one more time." Steve said slightly quietly.

"Sheesh, sorry your majesty!" Max replied in an irritated voice.

"I didn't know you-" Max started to say, but Steve quickly cut her off with a quiet "shut up."

"What?" Max asked, slightly taken aback.

"Shhh!" Steve said, motioning in front of him where we heard sounds.

More like voices.

"Who's there?" The person asked, and I was able to make out who it was.

My sister.

"Who's there?!" I heard a second voice call sich I knew belonged to Jonathan.

I ran ahead of Steve, despite his whispered protests for me to 'get back here' and out of the forest, over to where Jonathan and Nancy were standing.

"Nancy!" I exclaimed with a smile.

I hadn't seen my older sister in quite some time and I could tell we were both just as relieved to see each other.

"Y/n!"

She hugged me and I hugged back, letting go and hugging Jonathan, who also hugged back.

Just as I let go, the rest of the group came clambering out of the forest, Steve first.

"Uh, y/n? Where'd you go!?" Steve called, whacking through the bush.

He slowed to a halt, seeing me standing by Nancy and Jonathan.

"Steve?!" Nancy and Jonathan asked in perfect unison, both in utter confusion and surprise.

"Nancy?" Steve asked, his eyes landing on the familiar brunette.

"Jonathan?" Dustin asked, looking at the older Byers boy.

"What are you doing here?" Nancy asked. she did not sound very pleased to see Steve.

"What are you doing here?" Steve asked back, slightly raising his arms as the group walked over to us.

"We're looking for Mike and Will." Nancy said, putting a hand on my shoulder as they came right up to us.

"They're not in there are they?" Dustin asked, pointing to the lab.

"We're not sure." Nancy said in slight confusion.

"Why?"

As if on cue, dozens of howls, growls, shrieks and screeches erupted from the lab, echoing down to us.

We all turned to face the lab as our hearts pounded faster than before.

——

Everyone was rambling, talking and trying to figure out what was going on when Nancy slightly walked away from us.

"And we haven't seen Will-" Lucas said.

"Wait, you haven't seen Will?" Jonathan asked.

"We haven't seen Will." I confirmed, shaking my head.

"I haven't seen him since..." Steve started, getting cut off by Nancy.

"The power's back!" Nancy said.

We all looked to see the lit up building, screeches still emerging from it.

We all raced over to the security booth and Jonathan started rapidly hitting the button that was supposed to open the gate.

We all watched the gate as it didn't move one bit, Jonathan's button clicking in the background.

I looked around at the others, anxious as to what we were going to do.

Dustin stared, blinking at the gate before he kicked into gear, heading for the booth where Jonathan was still furiously hitting the button.

"Let me try-" Dustin said.

"Hang on-" Jonathan said, getting cut off by Dustin who shoved him back with a frustrated whine.

"Let me try, Jonathan!" Dustin yelled.

I watched as Dustin now furiously pounded on the buttons and yet still, nothing.

I looked at Max, who's face had pure concern showing, and I gave her a weak smile before turning back to the gate.

It was silent for a moment before Dustin began shouting.

"Well, son of a bitch! You know what..." Dustin grumbled, continuing to pound on the buttons with even more fervour.

Suddenly, the gate clicked and started to open.

"Hey! I got it, haha. I got it." Dustin said proudly as Jonathan left the booth.

"Good job, Dustin." I rolled my eyes, patting his shoulder.

He smiled goofily at me, obviously full of pride before we all walked to stand in front of the opening gate.

Then, unexpectedly, Jonathan got into his car and drove through the gate.

"Jonathan, wait!" Nancy called.

His car screeched to a halt and Nancy hopped in before they disappeared.

——

Do you hear that?" Lucas asked with a confused expression.

Tires screeched, and out came Jonathan's car, speeding towards our group.

"Guys out of the way!" Max shouted. "Out of the way!"

We all took a large step back, scrambling away from the car that did not stop for us.

Jonathan was driving. Nancy leaned out of the passengers window. Joyce was in the back, crying next to an unconscious Will and a very much conscious Mike.

Then hoppers truck sped around the corner behind Jonathan and he stopped right beside us.

"Let's go!" Hopper shouted out the window.

Steve ushered us all hastily into the car before getting in and slamming the door with a pat to the side.

Oh boy.

Word count: 853