12: D'artagnan.

Y/n's pov

Night had fallen and a thick layer of fog coated the junkyard.

Lucas put his binoculars around his neck and climbed up the rickety ladder to the top of the bus as lookout.

He positioned himself on his stomach, hiding behind the row of old tires we had placed at the top of the bus.

Max, Dustin, Steve and I waited patiently inside the bus, Max and I sitting on one of the bus seats together while Dustin sat on one across from us, Steve sitting on another.

Steve flipped his lighter open and closed over and over, his eyes glued to the small metal contraption.

"So you really fought one of these things before?" Max asked Steve.

Steve gave Max a flat smile and a nod before going back to his lighter game.

"And you're like, totally, one hundred percent sure it wasn't a bear?" Max asked.

Steve gave a weak breathless chuckle.

"Shit. Don't be an idiot, okay? It wasn't a bear." Dustin said to Max for absolutely no reason at all.

Max and I both did a double take, surprised at Dustin's sudden outburst.

"Jeez, no need to be so rude to her." I defended Max.

"Why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home." Dustin said.

"Dustin!" I scolded.

"What, Y/n? Why are you even here if you're gonna side with the girl who just got here!" He shouted in my face.

"Just because I don't entirely believe you doesn't mean I don't want to help." Max said, smiling at me before heading off to the back of the bus to get something.

"Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?" I asked Dustin, standing up.

He slightly glared at me and I put my hands up in fake surrender.

"Jesus Dustin. What's your problem." I asked, starting to climb the rusty ladder.

"That's good. Just show her that you don't care." I heard Steve say, and I looked back to see Steve gesture to Max.

"I don't." I heard Dustin say in a weirdly upset yet flat voice.

I shook my head. So that's what this is about.

"Hey, Y/n/n." Lucas's face turned into a grin when my head popped up from the roof hatch.

"Hi Lukie." I smiled, snickering at his stupid nickname.

I joined Lucas's company and together, the two of us looked out on the surrounding fog.

"It's kind of awesome." I spoke.

Lucas looked at me in surprise, his brows furrowing into a curious frown.

"Huh?"

"The fog, I mean." I said. "It looks like the
ocean. It's pretty."

Lucas lowered the binoculars, his gaze turning to me.