18: The hub and the Demodogs.

Y/n's pov

Our journey to the hub was tense and silent.

No one spoke from fear of demodogs lurking around any corner.

No one let their guard down and we all stayed in a tightly knit group.

After awhile of walking, when almost all our hope had gone, the tunnels began to blend together.

We knew we were getting close.

"God." Lucas said with a gasp.

We suddenly came into a part of the tunnel that was surrounded by large, swollen purple spores that spit more particles into the thick air surrounding us.

"What is this place?" Max wondered aloud.

"Come on. Keep moving." Steve ordered, walking on.

We all willingly obeyed, following closely behind Steve as we marched on towards where we assumed to be the hub.

Well, all of us except for a certain curly haired boy.

"Help! Help!" The sudden, panicky voice of Dustin rang out.

"Dustin!" Mike called.

In less than a second, our entire group had turned around and ran to him as fast as we could, all the while yelling and panicking.

"Dustin? Dustin!" We all hollered, most of the shouting coming from Steve.

We all scrambled around him once we found him, trying to see if he was okay and what was the matter.

Steve roughly shoved past us to check on him.

"What happened? What happened!?" Steve asked frantically.

Dustin was doubled over with his hands on his knees, coughing and sputtering as high pitched screeches came out of his mouth.

"It's in my mouth! Some got in my mouth!" He said, taking a deep breath.

"SHIIIIIT!" He shrieked.

We watched as he coughed more and began spitting on the ground in an attempt to get whatever was in his mouth, out.

His breaths slowly calmed and he looked up to us, still panting.

"I'm okay." He said softly.

We all let out sighs of relief and slight annoyance.

"You serious?" Max hissed.

"Very funny, man. Nice, very nice." Steve grumbled, standing up straight and marching off again.

"Jesus, what an idiot." Lucas said and I agreed, pulling him with me to keep walking.

We followed after Steve again and Dustin quickly scrambled to his feet.

"Hang on, wait. Wait!" Dustin said, in fear of being left behind.

"Come on." Max waited up for Dustin, offering a hand.

He took her hand and they ran quickly back to the group.

Our journey didn't last long, within five minutes we had arrived at the entrance to a huge space where all the tunnels merged into.

It was the size of most of the Byers' house combined and the ceiling got twice the tunnel's height as it formed into a dome like structure. Just like the tunnels, it had giant, swollen purple and blue spores that sprayed more and more particles.

It was damp and sticky feeling, with thick air and floating particles. There were grimy vines everywhere, from the ceiling to the floor, and it reeked like dead animal carcasses and rot.