16. Car ride.

Y/n's pov

We were driving down the dark road in silence, apart from he occasional directions from me or Lucas.

Yes, Max was driving the car.

As far as I knew, Steve was unconscious.

He had earned quite a few punches to the face and we had had to drag him out and shove him into the vehicle.

Lucas and I were squished into the passenger seat with a map and Dustin and Mike were in the back with an unconscious Steve sprawled across them.

Someone shifted and groaned in the back.

"Nancy?" I heard Steve ask.

I quickly glanced in the rear-view mirror to see Steve looking up at my brother as Michael wore a confused expression.

Steve groaned in pain as he shifted again.

He must've tried to touch his face because Dustin started to speak.

"No, don't touch it." Dustin said softly.

"Hey, buddy. Shh. Shhh. Shh." Dustin cooed, even though Steve hadn't been speaking.

"It's okay. You put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a good fight. You're okay. You're okay." Dustin said.

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai." Lucas said from the passenger seat.

Max nodded quickly, not taking her eyes off the road.

"Whas' goin on?" Steve slurred from the backseat.

I Watched as she gripped the steering wheel harder.

"It's okay." I said, reaching back to pat Steve on the knee.

"Oh my god!" Steve said with a frightened chuckle.

He began shifting around and there was no doubt that it finally registered in his head that a thirteen year old was driving.

"Steve. Just relax. She's driven before." Dustin eased softly.

"Yeah, in a parking lot!" Mike retorted.

"That counts." I defended Max, pointing a finger at Mike.

"We should've just gotten You to drive! You know how!" Michael said to me.

"Guys?" Steve groaned.

"Yeah barely! Dad let me drive moms car because I threatened to tell her his secret!" I shouted.

"Oh my god."

"Does he really care if she knows he started taking sugar in his coffee??" Mike asked.

"Can you please shut up! I'm trying to focus here!" Max yelled, subconsciously inclining the speed of the vehicle.

"They were going to leave you behind." Dustin said irritably jolting his eyes at Mike And I.

"Oh, my god." Steve repeated.

"I promised that you'd be cool, okay?" Dustin said, trying to calm Steve.

"Oh my god! Woah, woah, woah, woah. What's going on?" Steve asked, already freaking out.

Max sped the car up even more, Steve's terrified yells making her more and more distracted.

"Woah, woah, woah, woah, NO, WOAH! StOp the car! SLOW DOWN!" Steve yelled, his voice cracking.

"I told you he'd freak out!" Mike said.

"Stop the car!-" Steve yelled.

yep. She had had enough.

"EVERYBODY SHUT UP! I said I'm TRYING TO FOCUS!" Max yelled, flooring it down the road.

Suddenly, Lucas shot up in his seat, his eyes wide.

"Oh, wait! That's Mount Sinai! Make a left!" Lucas shouted, pointing frantically at the turn in the road.

"Left?" Max asked.

"Make. A. Left!"  Lucas shouted.

"Here!?" She asked.

"Left!" I shouted frantically.

"Shit." Max muttered, jerking the car to the left.

We hit a mailbox as everyone screamed, Steve now scared shitless as we disappeared down the dark road in a car that wasn't even ours.

Word count: 573