Chapter 3.5, 'Hertlair'

A demon's blood, an angels tears and a single petal from a withered rose stolen on a new moon. All of these ingredients can kill an immortal, if prepared right. Not many know the proper preparations. It's difficult to find a single person who can create such an item, an item that is able to break the law of the gods, if it even exists. To break a curse doomed upon one forever as they shall live for eternity. The preparation is hard, but the ingredients are almost impossible. No demon wants a soulless deal just to take its blood. Nobody wants to fight an angel for their tears. And nobody can find a withered rose petal on a new moon. It was a potion for only the ones who are able to complete it. And complete it they shall, for if not; they will live to see the world end, and even after that; they will survive. And that is why that suitcase had such importance to me. And that is why I needed it back.

I got off of the bed and stretched. "I.. I'm still sorry. My plan wasn't to scare you! ...Or give you a bath.. I just wanted to help!" She apologised, what a klutz. "It's fine you're far from in the wrong here...?" I indirectly asked her for name. "Mey-rin! My name is Mey-rin, it is!" She joyfully took my hand and shook it. "And what about you? I'm sorry, have we met before?","Oh. Uh, no we haven't. My name is... Alex Hertlair." She smiled as I gave her the fake name. I couldn't let any more people know who I actually was. "I thought you were a person of rich decent by the way you dress! You're sort of familiar.." She put her hand on her chin and thought. "Maybe in the paper, for um, buying a pretty well known factory. I am of wealthy decent, you are correct." I sighed silently in my head, a few white lies didn't hurt anyone.

"Oh wowee! That is mighty interesting!" She smiled in excitement. "What is all the chaos going on in here?" Ciel's voice came from the doorway. "And why is everything wet?.." He looked down at the floor, which had a giant puddle on it and my clothes which were still soaking. I looked the opposite direction. "Mey-rin, clean this up and get our guest some new attire.","Yes sir!" She saluted him and ran out the door. "And you, why do you never look at me?" He walked up to me. "My reasoning isn't of interest to you.","But what if it is? I wish to see your face." We stood at the same height. I sighed "Not again...." I thought to myself, if he really did remember that night; and my face, it would all be over. I turned to him, eyes closed. "Do you wish not to see my face? Open your eyes." I did so. Staring him in the face, he stepped back but stayed silent. 

"Well.. uhm..." He looked down. "You got what you wanted, didn't you?","Indeed.. now if you'll excuse me; I'll be off to finish up on this investigation.." He nodded to me in respect and left the room. I sat down on the bed, "It was still too soon for that.. I know he knows... or at least remembers a little bit of that day.." I sighed to myself, "My plan's still in order, I'm not in the station so I must edit it as soon as I have time.","I'm back!" Mey-rin came stumbling in with a pile of new clothing. "I didn't know what you are to wear on a normal occasion so I just chose the best choice!" She smiled, plopping the clothes beside me and pulling out a cloth, getting on her hands and knees to clean the floor. "Pathetic.. let me help you with that, you're doing it all wrong!" I got down on my knees as well, grabbing the cloth from her. "You don't use cloths like that on big spills.. you dab if the spill is minimal. You swipe if the spill is as large as this one." I showed her a demonstration. "I'm sorry! I've never noticed.."

"Oh! My, what do we have here?" Sebastian's voice came from the doorway, does that door even lock? "Your maid hasn't the first clue on how to tend to a large puddle." I sighed, getting up and handing Mey-rin the cloth. "My apologies, Sil-","Yes, yes, whatever." he walked over and grabbed the empty plate from earlier. I grabbed his arm and leaned him down to my height, "If you are to keep calling me that; you better know that you're only risking your manors life more and more. You and I both know who's on my back, and we know that if word gets out; we're all screwed." He smiled, "Yes, 'Hertlair'" I pushed him back up to his original position. "I ask for privacy, Mey-rin. I'm going to change.","Oh yes! Tell me when you're done." She smiled and walked out with Sebastian. "Everyone here is crazy.. including me..." I chuckled to myself, grabbing the clothing on the bed. "Seems to be somewhat my size." 

I walked up to a mirror and removed my shirt, putting it to the side. I unbuttoned my boots, sliding them off and putting them to the side too. I stared at myself in the mirror, "I'm only the thing I most regret. I hate looking into mirrors." I muttered to myself, taking off my trousers next. Then, my socks. I put on everything in reverse order and looked at myself one last time. "These look like something Ciel would like, I wonder where Mey-rin got these from. Ah, no matter. I am finally no longer wet and that is the important part." I grabbed my clothes and stacked them on the bed in a clean and sorted way. I then walked up to the window and looked outside, nothing but forest. It was somewhat relaxing to do, but something about it gave me a bad feeling. "Everything gives me a bad feeling.. but my gut has never lied ever since..." I exhaled, "I'll survive. I always do." If Claude was really nearby, I would've noticed. And so would Sebastian. But yet, I could not seem to erase that wretched feeling from my body. Not easily.