Chapter 16.5, Breadcrumbs

The ambience of the ocean surrounded my ears. I was back. My arms and legs drifted with the cold water, I opened my eyes to light shining through the water, illuminating everything. I positioned myself upward and swam to the surface, my head finally breaking the water. I wasn't wet, I was dry, I still didn't understand that place. It didn't seem to have any land after I broke it, an that same light was still there. Strangely, the light shined a little brighter than I remember it doing so. It was strangely warm, it had never been warm before, neither cold. The water stung my skin with it's ice cold embrace, yet, it still felt strangely welcoming. I let myself sink into the water once again, holding my breath forgetting I can somehow still breathe in the water. Once I was completely submerged, I started to sink lower and lower, faster and faster. I then opened my eyes to my childhood manor. It was empty, I stood on that same nostalgic tile of the entryway. 

"What am I doing here...?" I thought to myself, starting to walk forward. Everything looked right, but, still felt off. The colours of the walls were slightly off hue, like it was a distant memory. I let my fingers trace the wall as I walked down the hall, I didn't know why, but I wanted to go up to the second floor. So I went up the stairs, each stair shiny and new, humming a tune. I didn't know the song, I didn't know why I was humming it, but it felt like something I've been doing my whole life. My humming then lined up with another voice, we hummed in sync, it was my mother. I turned into a room, my room. I stood in the doorway as I watched my mother loom over my bassinet. I turned to my left and saw that angel, Ash. He watched as my mother hummed, everything was rather echoed.

"You remember the deal, right Mrs. Silversfield?" He started, her humming stopped as she turned to him. "I've been meaning to speak to you about that...","You're not thinking of backing out of the deal so soon Mrs. Silversfield, are you?" He pushed, cutting her off as he walked toward her. "That would be rather foolish, wouldn't it?" He smiled, still intimidating. "A deal...?" I thought to myself, my mother chuckled nervously. "No... well..." She hesitated, "Great!" He cut her off once more, "I thought I was going to have to resort to... other methods." He put his hands behind his back as my mother looked worried. "I was wondering if we could perhaps move the date a little later...?" She gulped, "Later?" Ash laughed, "It depends I guess, how much later?" He smiled, "I was possibly thinking until they are ten years of age...?" Ash fell silent at her proposal, his smile dropping making my mother worry even more.

"That is far past my given date, you know that." He started to speak rather seriously. "Y.. yes but-.." He cut her off one last time, "Eight. Eight years is stretching it." He started pacing, "I wouldn't even say six. But.. ten?!" He laughed in shock, "Wow, you are really stretching it." He walked up to her with his finger up, "You were even lucky to get four." He sighed, recollecting himself and letting his hand fall to his side. "Negotiations are over, Mrs. Silversfield. You've had your chance, you have 3 years to get it prepared." He walked to the doorway, right up to me but not acknowledging I was there. He turned back once more, "And don't try to hide it again." he walked out. I tried to follow him but once I turned around it was a different setting. I was in the living area, Ash was sitting across from my father and mother. My younger self sat on my mother's lap, smiling. I looked about two years old.

Ash looked rather unimpressed, his expression staying serious. "Your time is about to run out. I'm doing a final checkup before it's date of pickup, how is the health?" He took a sip of the tea that was on the table. "I've made sure every cold and flu was accounted for. They're healthy at the moment." My father stated, my mother held me tight. "Iq?" he glanced over the answer my father gave him. "Uh.. above average like you made sure.." My mother answered, Ash laughed, "As I thought. Relations?" He tapped his fingers on his tea cup, "...Well.." My mother started, she was stopped by my father putting a hand on her lap. "Nobody outside of close family as you requested." Ash smiled at this, "And the boy?" He leaned forward. "No longer an issue." my father added. It didn't make sense, at that age Ciel and I were inseparable. And what did he mean by him no longer being an issue? Was he possibly lying? "Good. I'm glad you were able to get rid of the last hurdle." Ash stood up, "I'll be prepared for pickup in twelve days, deliver it swiftly without hassle and you will receive your reward." I took a step back, my brain overflowing with new information. My step made me fall back into that cold ocean. The overwhelming truth scared me.