5 | Lonnie Byers

The two drove out of Hawkins, and followed the road all the way to Indianapolis, that is when Mia realised,

"Jonathan, seriously? Why are we going to go see your dad?"

"Will might be there"

"I don't think he would of come all the way out here!" She huffed

He only shook his head "I need to check ok? I need to"

"Fine ok... sorry I said anything"

She got all awkward and pulled her headphones over her ears for the rest of the drive, not wanting to carry on the conversation.
When they got to the house Mia still wouldn't turn her Walkman off, but Jonathan wanted her by his side so he walked around to the passenger door, opening it and pulled her up into his chest, forcing her to walk down the drive way with him. He stopped just outside, she pulled her headphones down to her neck, and knocked on the door, there didn't seem to be any movement in the house, but they were definitely there, the tv was on.
After knocking for the third time a young girl, not seeming any older than the two stood in front of her.

"Can I help you?" She asked, looking the two up and down.

"Yeah, is Lonnie around?" Jonathan answered, his hand grasping Mia's arm tightly, as if she'd disappear if he let go, and she let him keep his grip, knowing he had to be nervous

"Yeah, he's out back. What do you want?"

"To look around"  the second the words left his mouth he was pushing past the woman, dragging the younger girl with him, his sudden action making her stumble behind him.

"Hey, what do you think your doing? Hey!" The girl shouted following them, trying her best to grab Mia.

"We'll be fast" he rounded the corner and started shouting for will, hoping he was there. He carried on looking for him before he was slammed into a wall,

"Jonathan!" Mia yelled, stepping back in shock.

"Get off!!" Jonathan shoved the older man off of him.

Lonnie chuckled "damn, you've gotten stronger..."

"Will someone please explain what's going on?" The girlfriend asked, point between the three in the hallway.

"Jonathan, Cynthia. Cynthia this is Jonathan, my oldest... and his girlfriend Mia"

"How many times! I am not his girlfriend! Why does everyone think I'm his girlfriend!!"

Jonathan shook his head "y-yeah she really isn't"

Lonnie yet again bust into a laugh as he pulled his son towards him "come here,"

"Get off me, man"

Lonnie made some small talk before Jonathan could ask his heavy questions about Will, which his dad only answered with brief answers before he lead the two out to the back, starting a new conversation by talking about his car,

"Take a look at this beaut. Should've seen it when I got it. Took me a year, but it's almost done"

Jonathan wasn't listening, Instead he opened the trunk, presumably checking for will. Lonnie sighed, hitting his hands to his sides,

"Really? You want to check up my ass, too?" He watched as his son slammed the trunk shut "I told you the same thing as I told those cops, he's not here and he's never been"

"Then why didn't you call mom back?"

"I don't know, I just... I assumed she just forgot where he was. You know he was lost or something? That boy never was very good at taking care of himself"

"Hey," Mia butt in "listen this isn't some fucking joke ok? There are search parties, reporters..."

"Hoppers not still Chief, is he?" Lonnie looked back over at his son, only getting snapped back to Mia,

"Yeah, yeah... my dad is still the chief, why?"

"Mia, he's not worth it" Jonathan shook his head, giving her a look,

"Tell your mother she's got to get you out of that hellhole. Come here, to the city. People are more real here, you know? And then I could see you more" Jonathan snorted at his comment "what? You don't think I want to see you?"

"I know you don't!",

"See! That's your mother talking right there," he pointed at his son "she even know your here?... oh great, so one kid goes missing, the other one runs wild, some real fine parenting right there. Look, all I'm saying is, maybe I'm not the asshole, all right?"

Jonathan kept shaking his head as he dug around in his bag, pulling out one of the missing posters of Will, slamming it on his dads chest, "incase you forgot what he looks like" and he walked back to his car, his hand on Mia's lower back as he guided her.

Just over an hour later the car came to an abrupt stop outside her trailer. She quickly switched her Walkman off, shifting her headphones to lay around her neck.

"That was eventful." She sighed, breaking the silence that filled the car the whole way back,

"Yeah"

"I'll see you tomorrow? In school?"

"Yeah"

"... Right yeah ok, are... are you picking me up? Or am I going with Stiles, or my dad??"

"I don't know— actually could you go with one of them? I-I need to go to the dark room in the morning, get some photos developed, and yeah- uh and yeah... I think I'm going out to take some more tonight , around maple street, see if there's something I could see"

She nodded "will you be safe?"

"I always am"

She nodded again, "I'm sorry for butting in with your dad"

"It's fine, go inside before your dad thinks you've gone missing too"

"Ok... bye"

She lightly waved as he drove quickly off, before walking with her head hung low back into the trailer...