# "星空の下" ⤷ dainsleif

❝ just the two of us under moonlight ❞

 selected route ; 星空の下 (beneath under the starry sky)

. selected route ; 星空の下 (beneath under the starry sky)

dainsleif . bough keeper

. scenario - in which you wake from a nightmare crying but dainsleif is there to comfort you (modern au w/ a reincarnation au twist if you squint)

. music - deep end : birdy

tw. mentioned vomiting & waking up with a panic attack

.

BEADS OF SWEAT rolled down your face as you panted heavily, trying to gather your breath to calm yourself yet with every drawn gasp you took— you felt like you were suffocating.

There was a loud ringing in your ear, one that deafened the cars beyond the window of your small apartment. Even at this ungodly hour of the night, there was a traffic delay.

It wasn't long before the contents of your nightmare returned to you; of the burning city that ignited into a brilliant inferno that consumed all that you could see. The pungent smell of charred human flesh reached your nose and the ever-familiar (still repulsive) scent of blood accompanied the sight. Crimson painted your vision as you watched the great towers fell, the pinnacle of mortal creation crumbled apart and killed those who had once built them.

It was all so vivid, the destruction of that great city.

You choked back the disgusted sensation of vomiting as you tried to trap the tears before it was too late. Wetness blurred your vision as you tried to calm yourself. The choked sobs certainly did not help the cause.

Of why you were crying, it was unknown to you. The familiar dream often plagued your sleep yet it had all the same effect on you each time. The overwhelming sensation of dread, of horror, of panic, and more. Perhaps in a past life, you had witnessed such a catastrophe occur?

You weren't one for the concept of reincarnation nor one that recalled contents of one's past life but this was unexplainable. Having brought it up to your friends a few times, some had suggested that it was all a dream at the very end? That there was no greater meaning.

Mona, your coworker and your resident astrology-enthusiast had mentioned dream analysis to you. Perhaps this was a sign of change, or worse— an omen.

Whatever it was, your sobbing hadn't stopped. Your senses were on high alert and it was all too realistic; from the feeling of fire licking your skin, to the smell of blood, and even the screams echoing through the destruction— you couldn't bear it anymore.

It was then when you felt a hand reach for your shoulders. You turned to your side to see your significant other stir from his sleep, sitting upwards to pull you into his arms. His blonde hair was messy, covering his injured right eye. How the moonlight hit his pale skin made him gleam of silver, the contrast with the dusky blue of his visible eye.

"Dain..." He hummed quietly in response, nuzzling into the crook of your neck to comfort you. Somehow, it always did just the trick.

"Same nightmare again?" He asked, whispering against your skin as you nodded. It had been the fourth time this week the same dream came to you.

"I don't... It's all so surreal and yet so familiar..." You muttered, leaning into his warmth. You felt him press a kiss to your neck, his hands gently massaging your tensed back muscles.

"I know..." Dainsleif whispered back, pressing another kiss to your collarbones before looking up at you. The sight, you had to admit, was quite captivating.

You let out a soft sigh, shaking your head at him before the barrage of loud car honks interrupted the silence and peace. Ever the city of Khaenri'ah, it was busy at any given hour.

"Want to head back to bed?" He asked, looking at your tired features.

You purse your lips before nodding. It was already too early in the morning but with the noise outside and the nightmare you just had, it would be nearly impossible to head back to sleep.

Instead, you found comfort buried under the sheets of thick blanket weighing against you. Your arms tangled with your lover's as Dainsleif pulled you close, holding you to his chest. The steadiness of the rhythmic beating of his heart soothed you; reminding you that you weren't alone.

"What do you want for breakfast?" Ever the domestic gentleman, he was already inquiring about your preferences at this early hour.

You laughed a bit, knowing that he was trying to ease your mind with the other thoughts. "Mm... Could we go to that diner nearby? Kaeya told me their breakfast menu is spot-on."

"Of course." Dainsleif pressed another kiss to your forehead as you felt his arm sling over your body, holding you tight.

You were beyond thankful for Dainsleif's company and all the affection he demonstrates for you. At times, it could be overbearing but you knew it was all in his undying love for you.

Not one for horoscopes and fate, you did often think about how lucky you are to find someone like him. If perhaps the two of you were meant to be, or perhaps the two of you were lovers in a former life? It was all a bit much for you but the thought did satisfy your wonderings.

You turned your head aside to see the city of Khaenri'ah slowly come to life. You smiled a bit, thinking to yourself.

It's another day.

GOOD ENDING

° NEXT UP, XIAO

° NEXT UP, XIAO