# "つかの間の瞬間" ⤷ xiao

❝ for now, this is okay ❞

 selected route ; つかの間の瞬間 (fleeting moments)

. selected route ; つかの間の瞬間 (fleeting moments)

xiao . conqueror of demons

. scenario - in which xiao finds brief happiness in a unlikely place

. music - you are enough : sleeping at last

tw. depressive language, s*icidal thoughts, and slight self-depreciation

.

CRIMSON PAINTED THE gloves Xiao wore. It seeped through the fabric, inking deep into his skin like the karmic tattoos painted onto his body. All to remind himself of his duty; to protect and to kill. Perhaps that was his entire purpose, to serve as a weapon for Liyue. That he himself possessed not a shred of humanity remaining in him. If he was not spilling blood, what purpose did he have upon this earth?

He has dedicated eons to protecting his nation, fought countless bloody wars, witnessed his own friends fall to karmic insanity, and even still— he remained loyal to his task. Yakshas are not peaceful individuals and those who came in contact with one often found themselves caught in a violent wind. The stench of death followed him like an omen, this augury that dictated catastrophe.

Yet through all of this, Xiao continues. He trudges himself through the mud of damnation and sin just to see the sunshine for another day. To feel the warmth of heaven's grace upon his skin for just another day. It's all he has left really...

Until he met you.

Humans are naturally fragile creatures and Xiao tended to stray far from them as often as he could. Being in the wake of an adeptus presence often leads to great devastation and ultimately death. On top of all of that, he avoided them due to his own karmic nature of bringing misfortune to those around him. That or his own debt will spread to the human, driving them to insanity beyond comprehension. It was for these reasons Xiao avoided civilization as often as possible.

Except this once when he found himself battling a particularly nasty demon that refused to give up what remained of his tainted soul. Unfortunately, the demon had gained a significant amount of power thanks to the sacrifices of nearby frightened villages. Dwelling in the depths also gave him a particular advantage against Xiao and after a long and grueling battle, the adeptus decided to give it a rest and return the next day (seeing as how the demon had retreated into an underwater structure deep beneath the waves).

Tired and soaked, he found himself walking for quite some time— hoping to find a shelter to rest for the while. It was evening when his journey came to a halt.

A long field of glaze lilies, as far as the eyes can see, still flowering despite past its usual season. He stared at the flowers in silence, admiring the blue-white silky petals that seemingly glistened in the twilight sky. Its distinctive flora scent filled his nose, prompting Xiao to relax slightly.