Chapter 9

═══════ ೋღ 9️⃣ ღೋ ═══════

::: May | Friday :::

Standing outside a building, Odane pondered if he should go inside. He'd been attending these meetings for about two weeks or so now, and he'd already began seeing a change in his attitude towards life. He promised June that he'd be a better man - if not for himself or her, then for their son. Still, these meetings were a hassle for him sometimes. Being told to identify then confront his own issues were sometimes too much for him to handle. . .

Odane decided against attending today's therapy session.

Walking away and looking down at his phone, he missed a door before him being swung open.

Also missing the man with his head down, Melonie stepped outside the Starbucks with her drinks in her hand.

They bumped into each other, each cursing their own profanities when the drinks spilled on them both.

"Sorry," they said simultaneously, wiping away at their own clothes.

"No, sorry, me shudan a watch me step," Odane told the woman. "I'll buy them back for you-"

"No, it's okay-"

"I insist," Odane held the door open for her.

Melonie gave the man a small smile before re-entering the coffee establishment. As the scent of fresh brew hit her nostrils, she did a deep waft.

"Coffee lover?" Odane asked as they moved along the line.

"Yes," Melonie said on exhale. "I need like two cups to start my day."

Odane nodded, unsure what else to say. He looked back down to his phone, seeing if June replied to his message. He wanted to see his son. He could tell that June wanted to argue with him about why he'd been spending less time with Zach, but he was thankful she didn't. He'd noticed a change in her behavior, towards him at least. She refused to argue with him anymore. She was doing better as an individual for Zach. The least he could do was the same. . . especially now, given the fact that he could lose his son permanently.

On the other hand, Melonie was still wiping at her blouse. She'd become cranky soon if she didn't get her caffeinated cold drink. She looked back at the man that caused the spill. "I never got your name," she said.

"Huh?" Odane looked from his phone and to the woman beside him. She was taller than most women he knew.

"Your name. . ."

"Odane," he told her, putting away his phone. "You?"

"Melonie," she stretched out a hand. "Nice to meet you."

He shook her hand. "Likewise."

Odane bought a drink for himself because the woman insisted. They sat and had a rather refreshing chat, even went as far as to exchange numbers. Soon enough, they went their separate ways.

Now, Odane was at his cousin's house.

"Yu even memba Claremont?" Odane teased.