Chapter 28

═══════ ೋღ 2️⃣8️⃣ ღೋ ═══════

::: July | Saturday :::

June had thought she would have had enough strength to at least read the eulogy at her mother's funeral. It came as no surprise that she was not.

She knew this day was long coming. She'd known for as long as Jade and Mazie had been planning the funeral for her, knowing that if it were up to June, she'd prolong May's homecoming for as long as possible.

A teary-mess, her cousin Jade walked up to the stage and wrapped an arm around her, read the rest of the eulogy through a serious of hiccups then brought June to her seat.

Zach had laid on his mother's arm and rested a hand on her thigh. Looking at the casket ahead of him, he think he understood what was happening.

But his grandmother would be back. She always came back. He was sad though that his grandmother would be leaving again and causing his Mommy to be sad.

Zach looked around him. He was frankly getting bored and annoyed by everyone's crying, he wanted to go home and watch cartoons.

June held her son close to her for the rest of the ceremony, scared to let him go as if she'd lose him like she lost two of the most precious things to her lately. . .

That thought captivated her completely, she didn't realize when the rest of the funeral passed in a blur and she was back in her home, sleeping in her Mom's bed.

She sat up with a start, called for her son, searched and heard no answers. She checked her phone, released a long breath when she saw messages from Odane saying that he had took Zach with him after the funeral because the boy had begged.

June frowned and dropped herself on the couch in the living room. She brought her knees to her body and wrapped her arms around herself. She felt as if she had became a ghost. So much had happened in the past hour yet she could only remember how she bawled during her mother's funeral and had to be held back by Kellon and a few of May's church brothers by the graveside.

June couldn't do this anymore. She wanted to die.

At first, she thought she was living for her kids. But she was barely living, in all honesty. Every other day was this same cycle of pain. She was unsure what she had ever done in life to deserve such bad karma.

She looked at her phone that vibrated from a message. It was Antwain apologizing for not making it to the funeral nor the burial because his sugar had dropped again.

June screamed and flung the phone into the wall. Seeing it bounce off the wall, fall to the floor and shatter made her convulse into tears once more. Resting her head on her knees, she cried and cried.

"Me cya do dis," she sobbed to herself. "But I have to. . . Z-Zach needs me."

She heard a knock on the door and her head snapped up. Quickly drying her face with a napkin she grabbed from a box, she straightened herself and answered the door with a large smile. Seeing Kellon, her smile dropped. She knew she didn't have to pretend to be strong around him.

Kellon sighed upon seeing her. He held his arm out and June fell on him, crying once more like she had been all day. He lifted her into his arms and kicked the door shut behind him. He brought her upstairs and laid her on her bed. He held her while she cried on him. His own heart hurt and he wanted to cry also but he didn't. He knew June would feel guilty and she needed this more than him.