Chapter 14

═══════ ೋღ 1️⃣4️⃣ ღೋ ═══════

::: May | Monday :::

There was a saying that the only thing promised in life was death.

The circle of life had been this way for millennias, and was sure to continue for the many decades to come.

Albeit being the one thing a person knew as inevitable. . . death was something that could hit a person unexpectedly.

June Michaels learned that the hard way.

Clutching a lifeless figure to her shaking body, June pleaded with God to bring her mother back.

Her eyes were flooded with tears and her heart was sure to stop beating soon. It felt as if a part of her life's source was ripped away and her own lifespan was significantly reduced.

June held May's body closer. She pressed her face into the crook of her mother's neck, soaking the cold skin with hot tears.

"M-mommy, wake u-up," she pleaded. She looked around the room, saw her closest family and friends gathered. Her vision was blurred by tears but she was sure they could understand what her eyes were saying. . . 'Help me, tell me this isn't true.'

"June," Kellon croaked. He stepped closer to her, placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Like a beacon during a dark time, Kellon Cross' voice stimulated a light within June Michaels.

The woman turned, collapsed in his arms. His strong arms wrapped around her, held her tightly against his chest while she bawled incoherent sentences.

Jade blew snot into a napkin. Refusing to look at her Aunt lest she started crying again, Jade looked at the nurses. She gave them a small nod, shut her eyes and pressed her face into Tarone's shirt. She could hear the nurses moving into action.

The scraping of wheels against a tiled floor broke June's trance. She turned around, fought against the cage of Kellon's arms.

"Mek she stay!" she protested. "She nuh dead- She. . . nuh dead!"

The nurses' exchanged glances before leaving the room. June broke free from Kellon's grasp and went to her mother's body. She wasn't thankful that they gave her more time with the body. . .

May's beautiful smile and sweet soul would still be gone forever-

June sat up screaming. She was drenched in cold sweat, her heart palpitating. She jumped out of bed, ran to her mother's room to find it empty.

Oh, right.

June ran back to her room. Being mindful of her sleeping son, she found her phone. Fingers quivering, she dialed her mom while she went for a glass of water. It was almost seven a.m. and that nightmare rocked her spirit.

"Juney?"

June sighed a breath of relief. "Mommy, yu alright?"

On the other side of the line, May pulled on her glasses and sat up. She'd fallen asleep on the couch. "Yes, Juney. You alright?"