Chapter 12

═══════ ೋღ 1️⃣2️⃣ ღೋ ═══════

::: May | Sunday :::

Sitting in the Chalky Hill New Testament Church of God with her son beside her and her mother by the choir, it dawned on June how she hadn't been to church in quite some time.

As the children's choir was called to sing, she watched with a large smile as her son went up. She took her phone out to record him singing 'Jesus Loves the Little Children' along with the other kids around his age.

Too engrossed by her son, she didn't notice when someone took a seat beside her. When Zach began running and she hissed through a smile, "Walk!", she noticed Kellon.

Her heart stopped and she became overly aware. What was Kellon doing all the way in Chalky Hill on a Sunday?

She was about to question him when her son appeared.

"Likkle man," he greeted Zach who dapped him up.

Knowing that Zach would want to talk about something trivial with Kellon, she pulled him to a seat and said, "Talk to him after church, alright?"

Zach nodded.

June straightened herself and looked straight ahead. Despite her calmness, her senses were going haywire. She could smell his cologne, she could see his body lightly raise and fall through the corner of her eyes.

On the other hand, Kellon felt joy seeing her nervously shift. He enjoyed knowing that he was the only one who could make her feel this way. . .

After the service came to an end and the congregation dispersed outside, June went to her mother while Zach claimed Kellon for himself.

"Mommy, why yu invite him?!" she whisper-yelled.

"Everybody is welcomed in the house of the Lord," May dismissed, walking over to her grandson. "Unu need God ina unu relationship fi help sort through unu differences."

"Mommy-"

"Phiya, my dear," May ignored her daughter. Pulling the man in for a hug and kiss to his cheeks, May beamed up at him. "Yu nuh come look for me anymore?"

"Nuh mek it sound so bad, Miss May. Mi just busy lately."

"Ah I see. How was that housing scheme and hotel going?"

"Good. I'd love to bring you there one day."

"Look like me afi ask Juney, she swear she a my mother yu see."

Kellon laughed and looked at June who forced a smile. "Yea, she's bossy."

"Waa come over fi dinner?" May offered.

Earth, swallow mi please!, June thought.

Kellon gulped. "I'm not so sure-"

"Juney doesn't mind," May looked at June. "Right, Juney?"

June fought the urge to glare at her mother. "I don't."