Chapter 26

═══════ ೋღ 2️⃣6️⃣ ღೋ ═══════

::: June | Friday :::

Despite the stomach pains she'd been feeling since yesterday, June found the strength to attend class as the school semester slowly dragged to an end. She stepped through the classroom door that Kaior was holding open for her.

"Mi dunce friend," he teased as they walked side-by-side. "Long time now yu nuh come a school ino, deevn did a answer mi messages. I was about to send out a search party."

June laughed, surprising even herself. She glanced over at Kaior who gave her a cheeky smile, showing those two dimples she found rather attractive.

Kaior just now realized he never heard her laugh before. He liked her laugh, it wasn't loud and obnoxious but rather mellow like an Angel's.

"I wasn't here because my Mom passed."

Kaior stopped walking, expression gone solemn. A deep frown creased his face. "My condolences, June," he sighed. "Losing a parent is never easy."

June sighed and adjusted her large handbag over her shoulder. "Yea."

"Hey, if yu eva waa skip and mi tek notes fi yu-"

June shook her head with an amused smile. "I can't miss anymore classes or I'll fail."

"Jah," he sighed again. "Well, if you need anything let me know, June."

"Will do. Thank you, Kai."

"Of course, Juney."

June's smile was replaced with a grim expression. "My mom used to call me that. . ."

Kaior looked as if he wanted to shoot himself in the foot. "Shit, sorry-"

"It's okay." She didn't want people to filter themselves to spare her feelings. Kellon had made her understand that it was best to face her feelings rather than dodging them. June thought this method was working for her so far.

Kaior spread his arms and gave June that two-dimpled smile that made her feel something she brushed aside. "Come for this hug," Kaior urged. "Maybe it will make you feel better."

June stepped into his hold. His large arms wrapped around her and she sighed into his chest. As his hold tightened, she took note of how this man was less muscular and smaller in size compared to her boyfriend-

Her boyfriend.

June quickly pulled away.

"Thanks, Kai."

"Feel better?"

"Me ago seh no because I know if I say yes yu ego will grow bigger than it already is."

The man gasped. "Me ego nuh big!"

"You have a red-ink tattoo that says Kai on your wrist."

The man slapped a hand over his left wrist. "Gweh, June," he said and she chuckled. "Me a tek weh miself now. Keep your head up, zeen?"