Chapter 23

═══════ ೋღ 2️⃣3️⃣ ღೋ ═══════

one week later. . .
::: June | Saturday :::

"Crochiz, yago try do better fi yuself dis time?"

The man nodded. "Yea, man, Missa Cross."

"Mek sure, remember you've been here before?"

Crochiz took note of the room. It was a large, airy living room that had other persons seeking rehabilitation. "Yea, man, Missa Cross," he said with another nod.

Kellon slapped his hands on his thighs as he stood to his feet. Though he usually stayed with the people who he managed to get into rehab until they were comfortably settled in, he couldn't stay with Crochiz today. He had to hurry home to June.

"Yaa leave now, Missa Cross?" the man stood to his feet and asked. Seeing Kellon nod made him extend a hand. "Me ago do better man, fi real, fi real."

Knowing that the man was just viciously scratching at his groin side, Kellon opted not to shake his hand. Instead, he rested a hand atop Crochiz's shoulder and gave it a squeeze before he left.

Hopping into his Trackhawk, Kellon drove as quickly as he could to Chalky Hill. He still had many things to do like double check the measurement of the plot of land he bought for June to ensure the seller hadn't robbed him, and he also had to go to the Cross Enterprise office and collect his MacBook so he could continue working on the blueprints he was drawing in his spare time for June.

As he parked before her gate, he released a heavy sigh and looked towards the house. Taking out the food he had bought for her and her son, he exited the vehicle and made way up to the house. Knocking, the door was opened by Jade.

"She upstairs," the woman stated, knowing why he was here.

"Jade, neva know yu deh ya," he said as he gave her weary form a quick hug. "Me neva carry enough food-"

"That good, Phiya, thanks," she accepted the bag that had Zach's food and went off to the kitchen.

Kellon sighed as he watched the woman disappear into the kitchen. The Michaels' home had become a shell of what it once was. Death had left a gloomy, pungent stench in its trail.

Making his way to May's room, he knocked before entering. His features fell upon what he saw - there laid June trying and failing to stop silently crying while her son had a napkin drying her face.

"Likkle man," Kellon captured the boy's attention. "Me carry KFC fi yu."

"Famous bowl?" Zach queried and Kellon nodded. He crawled from beneath the blanket, ready to leave then he suddenly stopped and looked back at his mother. The child seemed conflicted about what to do, he was hungry but he also knew his mother cried a lot sometimes and seemed a bit happier when he was there.

"Go eat, baby," came June's hoarse voice. She dried her tears with her hand and sat up and gave her son a brave smile. "Mommy's okay."

Zach nodded and hopped off the bed, bolting to the door, he briefly stopped to dap up Kellon before going down the stairs to eat.

"Hey, babe," Kellon lowly spoke. He sat at the edge of the bed and pulled her into a hug. "How are you?"

"Not good," June confessed as she laid on his chest, her tears freely flowing.

She was trying her best not to cry in front of Zach but she could only go so long before her dam overflowed. She'd planted herself in her Mom's room upon her return to Chalky Hill since last week, still in a state of disbelief.