Chapter 13

As she leaves her father's room, Aleksandra sees her brother, Viktor, preparing to enter. He has an anxious expression on his face, as Aleksandra rushes into his arms, crying.

Georgi goes to her children, Viktor looks at them both confused, still not knowing what is happening.

"Mom?" His mother asks, his sister continuing to cry. "What's going on? Is it about dad? Did something happen to him?"

"Your dad... Your dad has cancer... I'm so sorry. You and your sister should have had known earlier."

The young man looks down at Aleksandra, whose make-up is running down her eyes, unable to calm her tears.

"No... It's not possible," he whispers, moving his shocked gaze to his mother.

"Unfortunately, it is!" His sister cries.

Viktor stands motionless. He seems to refuse to believe what he is being told. His father can't be sick. He can not.

His brown eyes go down to his crying sister.

"Everything will be ok," he pats her on the back, almost bursting into tears too.

Their mother looks at them hopelessly but calmly because her children are so close. As she taught them to be when they were very young.

"I want to see him too," Viktor can hardly find the power to speak.

"Of course," his sister murmurs, looking at the door.

Her brother enters, Aleksandra is now alone with Georgi, the brunette, stopping in her mother's arms, calming her tears but with an uneasy and sad look.

After a while, Viktor leaves Ivan's room with a modified expression.

He looks like he saw a devastating event.

His mother and sister walk closer to him, Viktor tries to come to his senses, but seeing his father in such a state traumatized him.

"Victor?" His sister calls him.

"My dear, are you okay?" His mother also asks him.

"I... Yes... I'm fine," he nods, but he seems to be thinking of something else. "Mom, he's staring at his mother now. "Why didn't you and dad tell us about his illness from the beginning?"

"It was his wish, darling," Georgi smiles sadly. "Sorry..."

"What can we do to help him," Viktor says, looking at his sister and then at Georgi.

"Pray that your father will be healed. What else could you do?"

"Mom," her daughter says something too, moving a hand on her shoulder. "I think it would be a good idea while dad is in the hospital to come and stay with me. I live close to the hospital."

"Alex is right," Viktor says. "It is a good idea. You'll be fine with Alex."

"Then I'll go stay with Alex while your dad is in the hospital," Georgi agrees.

"I'll take you home to pack your things and then I will take you home to Alex," Viktor tells his mother.

Georgi nods, smiling weakly at her two children.

***

Aleksandra stayed at the hospital with her dad after her brother went home with their mother to take her luggage to her house. Her father fell asleep and a nurse told her that she could leave now and that her father would be fine.

The brunette leaves, but with difficulty.

On the way home, she receives a message from his brother. They will be coming home with their mother soon. So the young woman presses the accelerator pedal.