12

*Mason*

"Hey" Hayden came up to me as I put my stuff in my locker.

"Oh uh, h-h-hey" I gave him a smile.

"So there's going to be a party tonight, do you want to come?"

"Um I d-don't think t-t-that's going to-to work" I closed my locker

"Why not?"

"D-d-Darren. H-he's overp-protective of m-me since I r-r-ran"

"What if you tell him it's a party for you? A welcome back party?" Hayden grabbed my hands swinging them.

"I'll try" I blushed looking at our hands.

"If it's a yes I can pick you up? Or we can meet somewhere if you'd like?"

"We can meet up at the party" I smiled

"Alright, I'll see you at 6 then, maybe"

I nodded and he walked away to his locker. God I'm so stupid. I don't even like parties. I just said yes since he asked me.

"H-h-hey D-Darren?" I looked up at him as he drove us home.

"Yes darling?"

"S-s-some of my classmates are t-throw-wing me a wel-welcome back p-p-p-party a-and-"

"No" he cut me off.

"P-please"

"No, I don't want you to be hanging around that boy understand me?"

"H-he didn't even invite me, a-a girl did"

"Oh yeah? What's her name then?"

"Tasha" I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Mhmm and does she have a last name? How does she even look like? I've never seen you with a girl named-"

"She's new, she was asked to tell everyone about the party and didn't even know it was me"

"And the last name?"

"Holy fucking shit. Why does that even matter?"

"Because I don't fucking believe you" Darren slammed his fist on the steering wheel.

As he got to a stop sign I unbuckled and jumped out of the car running.

"MASON!"

I didn't look back I just kept running and running and-.

"Holy shit Mason are you okay?" I bumped into someone.

I looked up and saw Hayden. I quick hugged him shaking.

"Hey what's wrong? What happened"

"I-I want to go home. I-I need to go home. It's my f-f-fault" I cried into his chest

Hayden didn't say anything. He just rocked us back and forth trying to calm me down.

"I want my mom"

"I know you do, I know" he hushed me. "I can take you home if you want"

"No, he's going to be there" I shook my head.

"You're dads in jail"

"N-not him, s-someone else"

"Who? Mason is someone trying to hurt you?"

I didn't say anything. I'm scared and I want to go home.

"Mason?"

"Can we go to your house please? I'm just, I'm just being dramatic"

Hayden nodded and we started to walk to his house which wasn't far away. The whole time he was holding my hand.

"Hayden!" A woman shouted as we entered.

"What Sarah?" Hayden brought us to his living room.

"Do my hair" the girl held out a hair tie.

"No, you always say I do a shit job at it"

"Well you do but I have a broken arm so I need you to do it"

Hayden sighed and took the hair tie and started to braid the girls hair. And a shit job at it.

"God do you even know how to braid?" The girl glared at Hayden.

"I-I k-know how" I took the hair tie "t-tight o-or loose?"

"Tight" she gave me a smile"

I started to braid her hair and Hayden watched me.

"At least this guy knows how to do hair"

"I-I do hair f-for my neighbors d-daughter so-sometimes" I said finishing the braid.

"Thanks, I'm going to be late for my job interview" she grabbed her purse.

"Are you actually going to be a nurse?" Hayden raised his brow.

"Duh, you know, I actually heard that a woman with cancer died recently the day her son came back. Poor boy must be heartbroken"

Hayden looked at me and I shook my head. I don't want him to say that it was me.

"I mean, if I were that mother I would be pissed off if my son left for months then watched me die"

"Sarah um-"

"Why leave a woman dying and not say anything about it"

"At least I was safe from my god damn father from my stupid ass kidnapper" I tried to hide my anger

Sarah and Hayden both gave me wide eyes.

"I-I-im s-s-sorry I shou-shouldn't have-"

"You told me you stayed at a friends" Hayden looked worried.

Sarah's alarm started to go off on her phone and she just left without a word leaving Hayden and I.

"Mason, what else are you lying about?"

"Nothing. I-I'm sorry. H-he's not a bad g-g-guy so I-I said he's m-my f-friend. I-if it weren't for him I-I would b-be dead a-a-and I wouldn't have seen m-m-my mom" I started to tear up.

"It's okay, take deep breaths. You sure you are safe? I can alway let you stay here"

"I'm safe, he-he just some-sometimes gets mad a-and it scares m-m-me because the only pers-son who would get mad at me is my dad and he would constantly hit-hit me"

"Does he know it's a trigger?"

I slowly shook my head no looking down at my feet.

"I think you should tell him, if you really trust him then I can't do anything"

"I will" I gave him a small smile.

"Okay, let's get ready for the party yeah?" Hayden grabbed my hand and took me upstairs to his room.

I looked around his room and it's a bit messy but not too much. Just some clothes on the ground and papers.