Chapter 2

Leighton

Alpha Kingsley has been drilling everyone this morning, training was always hard but we are the best for a reason and that 7 foot beast is the reason we are the best and will stay the best, the warriors hate and respect him for it.  I was standing to the side of the training ground watching as I had a couple of things to do so I wasn't drill sergeant today.
"Alright that's it, hit the showers" he walked over to me, he hardly looked out of breath how does he do it. He looked at me with a frown.
"How did you know it went that badly?" he tilted his head "ok ok it did go that badly, they want an alliance but on their terms and it doesn't help us at all,obliviously I turned them down and sent them packing" he slapped me on my back and walked past me into the packhouse and up the stairs. I jogged after him and shouted "I need you to sign all the stuff that's on your desk" he put his hand In the air with a thumbs up. Most wolfs were scared of him, and because he didn't talk much just grunts most are intimidated by him and run a mile.

I have known him 5 years and I think I know him and how he ticks, we were both rogues when we met and decided to set up our pack, it was hard work getting a pack together especially when most of them were rogues but we trained them all and now we are the best at what we do. Everyone of us has a past, a past that is horrible and will give you nightmares some of us are here due to other people and some are due to their own faults but we all have to learn to live with our past and move on.
I went to grab a snack and headed to my office which is next to Kingsley's, sometimes I feel like his PA not his Beta, everyone is to scared to speak to him so they come through me. I see his walls all around him, he is waiting for his mate, people have told him to just pick someone but he won't and I understand that, I only found Margo last year at the age of 28 most people would have given up but I didn't and I'm so glad.

I get up from my desk and walk over to Kingsleys's door and knock, he grunts knowing it's me, I walk in and plop myself down in the spare seat. He looks up from his desk and hands me back the files I left him earlier to sign. "Can't believe we are getting more cub bears, do you think we should set up a squadron of just bears rather than have them mixed with the warriors?" Wow a whole sentence, I think I took to long to reply because now he is staring at me "well I can see the pro's and con's, we don't have enough bears of age yet so maybe leave that on the back burner for the moment but it could be a good idea to make sure we have bears in each squadron and to make sure the whole team works well with their strengths" he nods his head "we have 75 warriors including bears basically I'm having a shake up, I want to change somethings......" we spent the afternoon going through his idea and it was really good, he is going to let everyone know to night at the BBQ.
Alpha Kingsley didn't do public speaking often and when he did everyone knew it had to be important, he stood on the stage and everyone was silent
"Good evening, I have an announcement to make that will effect our whole pack as of tomorrow morning our warriors will be split into squadron's that will each include at least one bear shifter and one cat shifter, each squadron will learn to work as a team using everyone's strengths, our numbers have been increasing and I feel this is the best way forward if any one was to attack us. Leighton will tell you which team you will be in, there will be 7 teams of 10 and 1 team of 5 however we have some pups that will be coming of age and they will be added to the team of 5. Thank you", I was then swamped with warriors, "right ok, I will call out everyone's name for team 1....." and that is how my evening went.
————————————-
I had the 5am patrol so I wasn't training today, it had been too quiet recently, it didn't sit well with me. We were just heading towards the lake and I felt something shift in the air,
"Something is around here, everyone stay alert" I mindlinked the guys with me, we got in formation and I headed in the direction my wolf was telling me to go.
"Leighton, be careful with this, don't hurt them straight away" Jewel my wolf said
"What do you mean?"
"Don't hurt them!"
I could smell the intruder, it was a wolf but I could also smell the blood, I ran through the bushes with my 5 warriors behind me, and circled the wolf, he didn't look good, I understood what Jewel meant now, the wolf couldn't even keep his eyes open and then it collapsed, I shifted back into a human and walked forward, the wolf pushed the bag he had in his mouth forward "Save him for me" I didn't think we could speak through our wolves that confused me, I bent down and slowly opened the bag and in it was a brand new baby cub "crap" I put the bag in Lex's mouth "there is a baby in that bag, do not touch the baby, get this bag back to the clinic, I will follow" I grabbed the wolf, he weighed nothing and ran as fast as possible mind linking the pack doctor to get to the Clinic ASAP.