Chapter 24: The Dagger

Just as you all were starting to process that you had just bought a nuclear weapon, a man wearing all grey walked up to your group.

"Well well, we seem to have a new player" he looked at Professor Stein, "you seem academic, how did you get in here and who are you?"

"As a few seconds ago, I'm a nuclear power."

"And yet I don't know you or your organization and I know everyone."

You had deemed it best not to talk if you didn't have to and see where this goes. Mick of course had another idea.

Mick put his arm out to the guy. "Hey, back off."

"Watch your tone," he told Mick as his guards closed in.

"Some sort of problem here?" Savage chimed in.

"Yeah, the master race here is starting to bug me," Mick said taking his arm down.

Leonard spoke up before things went any farther placing a hand on Mick's shoulder. "We're just gonna get our nuclear warhead and be on our way," he said pulling Mick back.

"Not without paying first," the auctioneer said.

"Once we've validated the warhead's operational," Professor Stein said. "Personally, I find it highly unlikely that you were able to accumulate enough fissional material in this era to fashion a workable nuclear device" he continued staring locking eyes with Savage.

"This era?" Savage questioned.

Professor Stein didn't freak out he simply said, "figure of speech."

In your earpiece you heard Jax. "I got a feeling you guys might want to get those helmets of your on." He was talking to Kendra and Carter.

Savage left and went up on stage. You all glanced at each other.

"Change of plans" Savage announced to everyone "I'll provide a 25% discount to the organization which brings me the heads of these men." He pointed at you guys as everyone turned their heads towards you.

"Can I burn some stuff now?" You hear Mick asked Leonard.

"I wish you would" Leonard responded.

Mick raised his heat gun at a box of explosives. As it exploded Kendra and Carter flew in.

The fight began. Just like you had done with the fight at the bar you used your speed to carefully reposition your attackers. Skillfully dodging their attacks so they would hurt each other. The room was in chaos as Leonard and Mick had their cold and heat guns blasting the attackers. Sara, Kendra, and Carter all were throwing kicks and punches. Ray seemingly appeared from nowhere as his atom suit allowed him to grow to normal size and send blasts from his arm and Professor Stein and Jax found each other allowing firestorm to come to life.

You notice Kendra and Carter finally confront Savage on the stage before you see him trigger something in a box and run away. While Kendra and Carter were left to fight off his hench men, you ran up to the device seeing the timer tick down.

"Um we got a nuclear bomb here" you said into your ear piece.

Almost immediately Ray flew up shrinking down and into the wires of the bomb. The timer stopped at just 29 seconds left but then continued to tick.

"Ray what did you do?" you said panicked as Sara came over to see if she could help.

He came back out and grew to his normal size.

"I didn't do anything. It must have a fail safe."

"I could run it out onto the water away from everyone" you suggested.