Chapter 25: For Carter

Mick came down the stairs to see you all in a giant cage. "What the hell happened?"

"It was this idiot's fault," Leonard said at the same time Ray said, "your partner's fault" and you said, "it was their fault." All of you pointed fingers at each other.

"I told you we shouldn't have brought them," Mick said.

"Agreed but we got bigger problems," Leonard said.

"Ah" you fake gasped putting your hand to your chest. 

"I need you to find the fuse box-" Leonard started explaining to Mick.

"Trigger a system default" Mick finished. He looked at Ray "This ain't over."

Leonard began tapping on the pillars before finding one and pulling the side off revealing a bunch of wires and systems.

"Whoa." You said in awe.

"How did you know how to do that?" Ray asked.

"When I was a kid, my dad brought me along on jobs." He said starting to tweak with the wires. You knelt down next to him with you head in your hands admiring his work. And maybe his hands. "I had little hands. I could get into tiny spaces, do whatever he need me to do, like rewiring a security system." He pointed to what he was working on. 

"In another life you could have been an electrical engineer. " Ray pointed out.

You let out a little snicker picturing Leonard as an electrical engineer.

"Guess I dodged a bullet. You think I want to be like you?" 

"You make being a tech billionaire sound like a bad thing." Ray scrunched his eyebrows.

"You spend all your time and money inventing a super suit and what do you do with it? Fly around like some incredible shrinking schmuck trying to save the world."

"Robbing banks for a living- I suppose that's more important?" Ray questioned him.

"It sure as hell more satisfying."

"Thinking like that is what makes you a criminal."

You were ready to intervein this time if things got out of hand. Ray didn't know Leonard and his past like you did. Instead, Leonard said, 

"No, it makes me a survivor." Your face softened and you looked at him. He reiterated the words you said to him over the phone that night when you visited him in jail. He gave you a glance before going back to tweaking.  "And there's gonna come a day when you wish you were too" he said the last part bitterly. 

"Here" Ray said sliding over to him grabbing the tool from his hand. Leonard scooted closer to you. He took another glance at you. You hadn't looked away from the first glance though. 

"You flip the solenoid, saves you the trouble of rewiring it." Ray handed back his tool forcing Leonard to look away and snap you out of your trance.

"I take it back Raymond. You're not completely useless after all." 

You looked back and forth between the two and smiled. "You guys are adorable." You said as both of them looked at you.

Suddenly the red light from the alarm turned off. 

"Huh. Looks like Mick found the fuse box" You sighed as you all stood up.

"We got a slight problem" you hear Mick from around the corner. "The owner just came home. You're not gonna believe who it is." Mick comes in with a gun pointed to his head and the one holding that gun?