Chapter 31: Russian Gulag

Gideon started spilling information on the prison where Professor Stein, Ray and Mick were being held. "Labor camp number 54 formerly known as the Koshmar or "nightmare" gulag. Built in the 18th century..."

"Can we skip past the Wikipedia crap and get to the good stuff. Like how to break in?" Leonard said as he anxiously stood in front of the console.

Leonard could be a very patient person. But he was also a get-to-the-point person. Though this time you knew he was just eager to get Mick out. Which is why you didn't look surprised. 

Sara on the other hand looked uncertain about him yelling at an A.I. "Perhaps you didn't register that as a question, Gideon?" 

To her surprise Gideon did answer. "I understood but in its 200 years of operation no one has successfully escaped from-"

"No offense Gideon but I never met a building I couldn't break into."

"Or out of." You added more to yourself. Leonard still gave you a pointed look as if to say you're still mad about that? It wasn't even that he broke out that bothered you it was that you never saw him again until Rip kidnapped you all.  

"Well, I hope you're right. Savage knows that Stein created firestorm but if he finds out that he is firestorm" Rip said.

"Always savage with you, isn't it? My partners in prison too." Leonard stared him down.

"And Ray" you said sadly the guilt still eating at you since you had left your post of protecting Ray to help Leonard. The scene still replaying in your head of him getting knocked out.

"Yeah whatever," this time you gave him a pointed look before he continued yelling at Rip. "The point is you don't lift a finger" Leonard said pointing a finger at him.

"You know damn well it was never my intention to get them thrown into a gulag, but I had no other option. Besides I doubt it was Mr. Rory's first time in prison. Or second. Or I imagine tenth." Rip began to mock him.

You let out a big sigh. Even you were tired of Rip and would not stand for this kind of talk about Leonard or Mick. But only because Mick was his partner, and you knew he meant a great deal to him even without knowing their story. "Alright arguing is not gonna bring them back any faster." Leonard seemed to catch on to what you were doing, and you saw his shoulders relax even though he continued to glare at Rip. 

Sara spoke up somewhat defending Rip. "Rips right criminals usually do feel more at home in prison, and they know it better than anyone else". You were a little shocked but hoped she was going somewhere with this.

"So?" Leonard drawled out going back to his serious expression.

"So, what if the key to breaking in is asking someone whose been in and out of soviet prisons their whole life?" She explained.

"And who might that be?" Rip questioned.

"Are you familiar with the Bratva?" Sara asked.

"Ooh the Russian mob?" Leonard seemed to be really interested and moved over closer to Sara leaning down to stare at her. "In 1986 they would have ruled the criminal underground inside every prison." 

You straightened up a little for two things. For one the idea of infiltrating the Russian mob was a little intimidating. And two the closeness between Leonard and Sara made you err......jealous? Obviously with both of their criminal backgrounds they could establish a bond. A kind of bond you couldn't provide given you had never been a criminal. Maybe you were looking too much into things, but Leonard seemed so intrigued to know more and sara seemed to be enjoying it too.