Ch-64

The day, in which Ling Xiao would receive his title, has arrived quickly.

The Emperor had sent Ling Xiao's ceremonial robe beforehand together with many of the rare treasures in the palace. Many people were discussing about the Emperor's action of sending such valuable things to him.   

There was no lack of people who praised Ling Xiao for it, to try and curry favor. Yet, it was also true that the Emperor really was acting extremely doting toward Ling Xiao.

Ling Xiao could also tell how much the Emperor really liked to visit him.

Ever since Ling Xiao returned to the palace, besides the time used to deal with government affairs, the Emperor would spend the rest together with Ling Xiao in his courtyard. 

The Emperor apparently planned to stay for a long term, as he slowly moved his apparatus for work and belongings over, one by one. 

Today was finally the day in which he was conferred the title of King Consort. As the main character of today's event, he had been woken up by the maids at dawn.

Still in a daze, his face was washed and his mouth was rinsed. After eating a bit of congee, a thick ceremonial robe was worn on him and then he was pushed into a sedan chair.

In this world, men were regarded as superior to women.

As such, the male consort ceremony was grander compared to a woman's.

Once a man is fancied by the Emperor and if the latter decided to confer him a title, then, no matter what was the man's rank before, a consort ceremony would always be held for him.

It was essential for the court's civil and military officials to witness the ceremony in which one was conferred a title. After all, the Emperor would usually grant the male consort some political power during the celebration. 

The power given could be great, insignificant or even dispensable, as it all depended on the Emperor's will.

On the other hand, a woman would never obtain political power. At most, she can become the Empress, who will only supervise the harem, without interfering in politics.

A male consort is special and different, and has caused the sovereigns of Mu Country to use extreme caution when conferring the title. 

Many of the men, who were fancied by an Emperor, still had a very hard time trying to become a consort in their lifetime. Most of the male lovers failed and remind in the palace to attend to the Emperor. They were known as 'Xiang Gentleman'.

Ling Xiao's current title, 'King Consort', was almost the same as 'Imperial Concubine'.

In this Empress-less palace, he was considered the one ranked the highest.

However, even if his rank was the highest, as long as the authority to supervise the harem remains in Concubine Xian's hand, then he would never surpass her.

But even so, everyone else already knew that it was of no importance, since he was already the Emperor's absolute favorite.

When Ling Xiao was still only an eunuch servant, hearing about the Emperor's intent on making him the King Consort, had stunned him.

'The Emperor would make him a consort' was that hard to believe in!

Afterwards, Ling Xiao understood.

Although the Emperor was making him a consort, he would not give him any political power whatsoever!

The Emperor was showing him affection while also keeping him in the palm of his hand, not allowing him to ever leave his side.