Ch-69

"And here I was wondering, when would Your Majesty come to see Ling Xiao." Ling Xiao looked towards the Emperor, who was standing at the entrance, then saluted from afar.

With an expressionless face, the Emperor walked in. He waved his hand to dismiss the people following him.

"Stand up." His voice was cold and cheerless, holding neither delight nor anger.

Ling Xiao calmly rose, looking straight at him.

The Emperor raised an eyebrow. The courage of this man, who was formerly an eunuch, has really grown and not just by a tiny bit.

"Isn't there anything you wish to tell Us?" The Emperor coldly started.

"I do." Ling Xiao's gaze was very fond as he looked at the man, as if his soft affection for the Emperor seemed to speak for itself through his eyes, which had a tone of their own, holding a trace of dependence.

The Emperor paused and moved his line of sight, but his expression became much more gentle.

He helplessly sighed, then lightly berated him, "You were too excessive."

"What is Your Majesty referring to?" Ling Xiao pretended to not know what the other was talking about.

The Emperor narrowed his eyes dangerously, his dragon might leaking out, putting pressure on Ling Xiao. He was not pleased with how Ling Xiao was playing dumb.

"......" Ling Xiao was alarmed by that gaze, falling a step back. He cannot help but think that the man before him was the Emperor after all.

Ling Xiao pursed his lips, and said with a trace of reluctance, "Would Your Majesty come to see Ling Xiao so quickly, if I didn't do that?"

"......" The Emperor made a face at him.

"As for the matter with Concubine Ran; Ling Xiao did do it on purpose. She tried her best to sow disharmony between our feelings. Ling Xiao can bear anything but that."

The Emperor moved his lips, about to say something, but Ling Xiao fearlessly interrupted him, "Furthermore, Just how much longer were you going to give Ling Xiao the cold shoulder?" 

While speaking, Ling Xiao took out the jade from a couple of days ago and laid it in front of the Emperor's gaze. He pursed his lips and said, "You don't want Ling Xiao to hold onto this, yet you try to put up with it. But then, you don't come to Ling Xiao's palace for several days. What do you think Ling Xiao would feel? What do you want Ling Xiao to do?"

After he finished speaking, Ling Xiao put on a motion of wanting to throw the jade away. The Emperor's gaze instantly went cold, he berated him, "Impudent!"

Ling Xiao paused and the other moved in front of him, catching his raised hand to prevent his action.

Stunned, he felt a burst of pain from the Emperor's tight hold. He clenched his teeth and bore with it while looking at the monarch in front of him.

Asides from the times they were affectionate, this was actually the first time Ling Xiao was so close to the Emperor, so close that he could see each eyelash clearly as well as the anger in his half-lidded eyes.

An angry Emperor was like an angry lion, a threatening aura covered him. The aura that was originally put away in front of Ling Xiao, now poured out, pressuring Ling Xiao until he could only tremble.

Ling Xiao stubbornly endured it, his gaze firmly facing the monarch before him.

After the deadlock lasted for a short while, the Emperor let go of him.

"There has never been anyone who dared to throw away the things We have bestowed. Especially in front of Us."

Was this his explanation for why he got angry?