46. Obsession

Monday, 20th. April. 2015

Tonight would be my first night working at Carousel officially as a hostess. The day had passed uneventfully, except for Koh popping in around the time I had lunch to drop off a dress. There was an event at the club tonight and the theme was a tad more darkly lavish than usual, so he wanted to make sure I was prepared.

I almost spit out the grape I'd just put in my mouth as he set the box on the dining table, opened the lid and pulled the dress out. It was dazzling, much more so than anything I'd ever worn. What was initially awe, quickly turned to excitement on my part. Which Koh took a degree of pride in. The small grin on his face let me know he was happy that I liked his choice.

The sun soon gave way to the night, and I left with Kai, our driver, for the club. He escorted me inside and handed over the box with my dress in it to the stylists that greeted me on arrival. After briefly bowing, Kai left me in their capable hands and they escorted me to the dressing rooms. It was just as you'd imagine from what you'd see in the movies. Vanity tables lined the walls with bubble lights and rows of clothing, an array of dresses that you just wouldn't find anywhere else.

There was a buzz of excitement in the air as girls and staff alike hurried about the spacious room to prepare and get ready for the night. I'd just sat at one of the vanity tables when Haru appeared in the reflection of the mirror behind me, wearing a light smile.

"Well, well, lovely to see you found your way back here of your own accord." He greeted, taking a step closer, so the lights illuminated his black velvet tuxedo.

"Haru," I turned to face him instead of talking to him in the mirror. The stylist didn't let my movements stop her from proceeding to pull my hair out of the ponytail I had it in and brush it.

"Yes, my darling?" His head tipped aside in question as he asked, "Is everything alright?"

"I think so." I gave a quick nod, feeling more eager now that the allure surrounded me. As though it was pulling me in.

"Wonderful. Well, once you're dressed and ready, I shall see you on the floor." With a small wink, Haru left me to be dolled up. Venus and Mia were both at the vanity tables directly behind mine and said hello to me upon noticing me.

Soon after Lilly, the sweet blonde that held 2nd place, came to bring a round of shots to congratulate me on newly joining the cast. I clinked glasses with the three of them and we chatted a little more until the stylist pulled me away for the dress fitting.

As I stepped out of the dress fitting and stared at my reflection in the mirror, I felt like I was floating. Walking in a dream. Wrapped up perfectly in an elegant illusion. This feeling is unlike anything I've ever felt.

Mia pulled me from my trance, gently locking her arm in mine with a smile before leading me out to the floor with her.

At the beginning of the night, I was seated with her at a table. We drank champagne with two men who were visiting for the first time. They shared they were co-workers, both working for a major bank. Perhaps in higher management or executive positions. They didn't say as much but, the brands of their suits were a dead giveaway that they weren't merely salarymen.

I'd been so swept up in the conversations and beverages that I had to do a double take at the figure I saw heavily locking eyes with me from his seat across the lounge. It was Tae Hyung. My mind returned to his words during our brief confrontation in the bathroom. It had slipped my mind. Perhaps I hadn't taken his threat seriously. But, as a staff member came over to excuse me from my table, I had a feeling it wasn't a coincidence.