59. All for naught

30th, Thursday Afternoon. April. 2015

My night at work was long and tiring, yet fun. A guy named Junseo had nominated me on his first visit to Carousel. So, after meeting a selection of girls and settling on me, he extended his time and stayed to drink and talk until close to midnight. His bill at the end of the night was quite impressive, which he made light of, saying it was well worth my company. He was funny, interesting and cute. Around my age, actually. And what really piqued my curiosity was just how quickly he took a liking to me. It's not that I underestimated my own charms. I knew what my strengths were, and I played to them well. Even so, it still felt nice when a new customer chose me. Maybe it was ego-boosting, or maybe it was just validation. Either way, he was a promising fresh face. Despite being a little tipsy from having to keep up with his high tolerance for alcohol, I was keen to see how it would turn out.

As soon as he left, it was time for me to clock off, so I retreated to the dressing room and got changed out of the pink corset I'd worn. I changed back into the comfort of my baggy sweats. After saying goodnight to a few of the girls that were dressing down for the night, I hitched my bag over my shoulder and headed out the back door to where Kai usually waited to pick me up.

But, the person I saw standing by the door of the shiny black sedan wasn't who I'd expected. Instead, Jin opened the front passenger side door upon seeing me as though he was my driver. As I gazed at him, confusion and anxiety mingled in my chest.

"Jin, what are you doing here? Where is Kai?" I asked, slipping into the front seat of the car and looking at him. Jin was caught by my question and didn't close the door straight away, but merely looked at me for a moment before replying.

"Kai took the night off. He works for my dad so technically he works for me too." I was stunned. Jin lightly slammed my car door shut before getting into the driver's seat.

"What? What do you mean Kai works for your dad? You've got to be kidding me." My head was so muddled by this sudden information bomb Jin had just hit me with. But as I stared, Jin seemed unphased and simply turned the car on.

"Yeah. Mr Kim is my father. Look, that's why I preferred you didn't get involved with him, but it's clear you are incapable of doing anything that I tell you." He gave an exasperated sigh. "It's not your fault, though. My father is incredibly conniving."

"Jin, what the fuck.." I could feel the alcohol spurring me on and fizzling in with my emotions, projecting them out. "Why didn't you tell me this earlier? Why didn't anyone mention it?"

"Would it have changed anything? If I told you? Would you have suddenly thrown your hands up and surrendered, come back to us willingly?" Jin glanced aside at me while driving as he asked the question. I bit my lip.

"I- I don't know, but still. It would have been nice to know," I groaned.

"Look, right now I have more pressing matters to talk with you about anyway," Jin went on, turning the wheel as he took a left down our street. "It's to do with what we spoke about last night."

I felt my stomach drop. Of course. Why else would he be here? "What about it.." I questioned hesitantly.

"I don't want you to do it. But, as I mentioned before, it's like whenever I tell you not to do something, you run off and do it anyway." He'd pulled up beside my house and put the car in park. We stared at each other for a moment before he got out of the car and opened my door for me.