12

"There doesn't seem to be anything wrong, dear. Perhaps it's the heat," Arisa went to see Recovery Girl and didn't tell her the whole truth. She would have if she understood what exactly had happened. There weren't many in the world that had a telekinesis quirk and certainly not like hers—Arisa was sure because she used to dig up information on people's quirks. It was nasty, illegal work but it was useful that she did. Arisa couldn't tell Recovery Girl because she knew it would reach her guardian and despite him seeming dead and uncaring most of the time, he did care. He was just emotionally inept sometimes.

          Besides, perhaps this was karma for her for murdering all those people all those years ago (despite not having a choice).

          "Just rest here for a moment and drink some water," she kindly advised and Arisa accepted it, shuffling towards the vacant bed, a bottle of water in hand. Arisa had a lot on her mind, especially regarding her strange quirk. She had a bad feeling about it but she wasn't sure she'd be able to get answers in the near future. All she could do now was wait and see.

          After a certain amount of time, perhaps about half an hour, her headache and nausea subsided. She sighed in relief and chugged down the bottle again while Recovery Girl glanced at her, "How are you doing lately, Arisa?"

          "Fine. Thank you for asking."

          "How are you coping, being surrounded by this many pro heroes?"

          "Quite well, actually. As long as I don't run into any of them, of course."

          They were silent for a moment but Recovery Girl asked her once more, "Are you still cautious... When using your quirk?"

          Recovery Girl, like the other pro heroes in UA, was aware of her situation. She often asked her how she was doing whenever she came in—it was an odd, foreign yet a welcomed gesture. At her unexpected question, her head lifted and met the woman's eyes, a frown on her lips, "No. I'm doing fine."

          "But you hold back," she looked at the woman confused, "I watched some of your matches from today. You're gentle with your opponents, as if you were afraid of hurting them."

          Arisa was surprised and slightly unnerved. This elder woman knew her better than she did. Arisa didn't feel afraid but she did go easy on her opponents from today. She could have hurled them out of bounds like a sack of potatoes but she chose to let them out gently. Recovery Girl would know her the best because she was an expert in field of medicine in general. Arisa felt like she was directly under a microscope, naked. Quite unpleasant but it made her think. Was she afraid? Was she being gaslighted? But Recovery Girl wouldn't do that. Arisa would know.

          "Why do you say that?"

          The woman didn't expect a question in response but answered nonetheless, "Because that's usually how it is with cases like yours. You genuinely wish to become a hero, don't you, Arisa?"

          She squished the bottle in hand, hearing it crinkle at the slightest pressure, an amused smile on her lips, "I don't recall you being a psychologist, Recovery Girl."

          The woman only hummed and glanced at the time, "Help is always available but that would only work if you want to help yourself," she turned her gaze to Arisa once more, "You should go. Your match might be next."

          This was an eye-opening conversation, Arisa thought. She quickly left the room and headed out towards the stands where she saw Midoriya who attempted to wave but realized his arms were bound by casts. Beside him was Ochako with her eyes puffy and smile weak. Arisa then recalled the images in her dream—Ochako had lost against Bakugou and as sad as it was, Arisa wasn't going to look at her with pity nor coddle her, asking her if she was okay. That was the art of battle. One would win and one would lose. The only thing to do was to improve and hope next time, a win was the outcome.