38

"And what the hell are you doing here?"

          The students had all entered the stadium and Aizawa was left to linger outside after escaping the sights of Joker, another pro hero that seemed to cling herself to him much to his displeasure. As he was about to enter the building, a certain winged hero just coincidentally passed him by. A certain winged hero that Aizawa didn't like in the slightest — he only tolerated him because Arisa liked being around him. Aizawa had a bad feeling about him, specifically the organization he worked for, the Heroes' safety commission.

          The male had the right to be here but there was no reason for the current number two hero to be attending a provisional license exam. There was no reason for him to go through the hassle, to be harrassed by his fans just to attend it. Aizawa had always a suspicion that the Commission wanted Arisa but he didn't have evidence. Even so, he intended to protect the girl from them. He intended to give her a good life and he'd be damned if he would let anyone stop him.

          "Am I not allowed to be here, Eraserhead?"

          He did, of course he did. Hawks had always been kind to Arisa. He was there ever since she died and resurrected, always taking her out on wonderful adventures. Aizawa loved seeing Arisa smile so freely whenever she returned.

          Even so, he couldn't ignore his guts.

          Aizawa narrowed his eyes at the winged hero's lazy smile, seemingly innocent.

          "I'm here for the same reason as you are," he continued, tucking his hands into his pockets, his shoulders shrugging in the slightest, "For Arisa."

          "Is that so?"

          "Mmhmm," he smiled, "I wanna be there when she passes. We both know she will."

          Aizawa stared at him, unamused, "I don't doubt it."

          He grinned, eyes obscured, "Great. Let's head on in then!"

          Aizawa decided to endure this. He would continue to observe, until he didn't need to. Until she didn't need him anymore.

°°°°

          The invigilator had explained the rules of the examination the moment they stepped in. The enclosed area was packed with people. Lifting an arm to scratch her nose, she accidentally elbowed a person in the ribs. Arisa apologized of course. She was a killer, not an asshole. Arisa stood beside Shoto who had been paying attention to the longest explanation, or rather speech, she had ever heard from a person. It was simply an explanation as to why they needed the license and the important roles they played in the current society. The haggard invigilator continued to explain the rules of the first stage of the exam.

          "— therefore, what's being tested, is your speed. The first 100 examinees who achieve the acquired conditions will pass."

          This caused an instant ripple throughout the area and even Arisa's eyebrows rose up in the slightest in surprise. According to what he had said before, there were 1541 participants altogether but they were narrowing it down to a hundred examinees for the first stage?

          A voice yelled out from the large crowd, "Wait, there's 1541 of us, right? That's like five per cent of us, isn't it?!"

          "Well," the haggard examiner began as he exhaled into the microphone, "A lot has happened in the world recently. Think of it as the hand you've been dealt," there were a few protests but he ignored them and continued, "And so, I will tell you about the passing conditions. These."