16

"A name?"

           "A codename," The male patiently explained as he sat before the girl, legs crossed and hands adjusting his blazer, "As you know, we don't exist. At least not on paper anyway. A codename is needed especially when you carry out missions for clients that are willing to pay us the given price to carry out judgement in their stead. Nobody is to know our true names, do you know why that is?"

          The child nodded, "Because it would get us in trouble."

          "Yes. Indeed. Lots and lots of trouble. They would take this family apart. You don't want that, do you?"

          She shook her head, "No."

          "Good."

          "But how do I pick a name?"

          Wide, innocent eyes stared back into the male's sharp ones. The male hummed, "Well, little one, you need to pick one that best suits you. It has to represent you. For example, mine is Loki. It represents my quirk best."

          "Oh," she looked down at her small hands, "I don't know what to choose."

          "There's no rush," he reached out and ruffled her hair, a soft smile on his lips, "There's always time. When you do, you tell me, okay?"

°°°°

          "—I'll be having Midnight evaluate your naming sense. The way your futures end up will approach the image projected by the names you choose. It's all down to that old phrase, 'names and natures often agree'.  For example, 'All Might.'"

          Arisa blinked, shaking off the feeling of nostalgia from the sudden recall of her late brother and tried to focus on the task at hand instead. She glanced briefly at Midnight who was conversing with Aizawa up front, the man that looked like he would rather sleep than be awake and deal with life. A small whiteboard with a marker was passed around from the front and she quietly stared at the blank white, a soft frown on her lips. She had a name in mind but it was a name from her past, a name she had long abandoned and was forbidden to use ever again.

          That name no longer held no meaning. Besides, it was a name that her brother never got to hear because he long died before he could.

          She sighed and mindlessly tapped the end of the marker against the board. She wasn't exactly good with names so she let her eyes wander, first to Momo's board which had quite the creative name on it. 'Creati', a name befitting of her quirk. Her eyes then wandered to Todoroki's board and her brows furrowed upon seeing the words written on it. It simply said his name. Shoto.

          The boy seemed to notice her stare and asked, "What?"

          "Shoto?"

          "At least I have a name," he bluntly jabbed, pointing towards her blank board and she made a face before looking away.

          Arisa couldn't think of anything. Her quirk has evolved so much from back then so she needed a name that would be able to capture everything there was about her.

          Fifteen minutes have passed and Midnight called out, "Alright, it's almost time for those who are ready to present their names for the class!"

          Arisa still came up empty. No matter, she thought. She was sure she'd get a lick of inspiration soon enough or maybe at the very last minute like a typical anime main character. One by one, her classmates went up to present their names but the most ridiculous one was Aoyama's name which was a full on sentence. Even more ridiculous was that Midnight didn't mind the fact that it wasn't a name but a full on sentence. She only asked him to shorten it. Arisa was baffled but ignored them all and thought of a name that suited her.