Thirty

"Adalyn? Who are all of these people hanging around outside of the house?" My mom called up the stairs.

I groaned before rolling over in bed to check the time, "What do you mean, Mom?"

"I mean there are a bunch of people with cameras standing in our yard and across the street," she yelled back.

The word 'cameras' shot me straight out of bed. I quickly got up and straightened myself up before running to the top of the stairs.

"Shut the blinds and do not open the door!" I told her as I unlocked my phone. I hit my speed dial number and put my phone up to my ear.

"Hey love, I wasn't expecting a call from you this early," Luke started groggily, clearly having just woken up like me, "or was I supposed to be expecting a call?" He second guessed himself.

"No Luke, I hadn't planned on calling you this early in the morning," I informed him.

"Okay, so why am I getting a call then?" He asked.

I sighed as I peeled the curtains back slightly from the window and saw at least a dozen photographers standing outside my house. Some caught the curtains moving and scrambled to reach for their cameras, but I moved out of sight before a single flash was able to go off. "There's paparazzi outside my parents house."

"What? How many? How did they figure out your parents address?" He groaned, clearly now also concerned for me.

"Listen you know how to handle this, be careful if you have to go anywhere and keep your family inside," he sighed, "I'll make some calls to get some guys outside your house."

"Do you think they still believe I'm—" I stopped talking when I realized my mom was within earshot.

"Honestly, they probably do, the press will do anything to get a good headline, and if that means tracking you down at your parents house, that is what they'll do," Luke agreed.

"How long do you think they'll be here?" I asked.

"If we can get some guys there, they'll be gone before the end of the day."

A rush of relief flooded over me, "Thank you, Luke."

"You're welcome, love and I know you're not going to like me saying this, but you might want to head back home today or tomorrow. We can have more people keeping an eye on you from our house than your parents house. I know you planned to stay there until I got home, but I'll be home at the end of the week, so it's not even that much longer."

I nodded, but then realized he couldn't see me, "Okay, yeah, I understand. I'll head home tomorrow morning. I gotta go, I love you."

"I love you more," he gave me a kissy noise before he ended the call.

I sighed and turned around to look at my mom, "Luke said he'll get some guys here soon and they'll make sure everyone is gone by the end of the night, until then, we'll need to stay inside," I sighed.

"Why are they all here in the first place, Adalyn? Paparazzi usually don't follow the spouses of famous people around unless they think there is a reason they need to be photographed." Mom asked, giving me a questioning look.

I sighed, and rubbed my temple, "Everyone in the world thinks I'm pregnant."

"And are you?" She asked.

My eyes widened, "No, Mom! Luke and I both got food poisoning while we were on tour and everyone took me feeling sick and the way Luke was acting around me as a sign of me being pregnant, which I am most certainly not."

"Well you are married, Adalyn, people tend to assume that of married couples," she informed me.

I groaned and plopped down on the couch, "Yes, I'm aware, but that is not in our life goals at the current moment."

Mom sighed, "I'm sorry they're following you around for a story that isn't true. I'll make us some breakfast, okay?"

I nodded and watched as she headed off into the kitchen. I sighed before pulling out my phone again. My phone had already started blowing up with notifications from various social media sites and there were already articles popping out left and right. Most of the articles said the same thing: if I wasn't pregnant then why was I hiding out at my parents house and refusing to allow the paparazzi to get a glimpse of me. This was going to be a long long day.

Later in the day, some security details had shown up at my parents home and had driven the paparazzi away. Thankfully they weren't that invested in a "good story" to stay. I decided it would be best to leave at night, so I could get home in case they decided to show up tomorrow morning as well.

"Bye Jas," I sighed, pulling my sister in for another hug.

"Call me if you need anything, okay?" She reminded me.

"Of course, and you're always welcome to come stay with Luke and I for a couple days," I smiled, giving her one last hug. I hugged my parents and wished them well before loading myself and the dogs into my car to go home. I waved goodbye to my family as I pulled out of the driveway and began the drive home.

A call from Luke came blaring from my car speakers, and I quickly hit the answer button.

"Hey."

"Hey, did they all leave?" He asked.

"Yeah, they all left pretty quick after your guys showed up, I just left too, I'm on my way home with the dogs," I informed him.

"Okay good, just let me know when you make it home, okay?" He requested.

"Of course," I promised him.

"And I promise I'll be home before you even know it."

"I'm holding you to that," I laughed, "I love you."

"I love you more," he said before ending the call.

I sighed contently as I turned the music back up, my playlist was on shuffle, but it was Luke it knew exactly what song I needed as Best Years started playing. I sighed and took in the lyrics of the song, the only thing that would make them better would be to hear Luke singing them live to me. I missed him so much.

-----

Hi everyone! Sorry for being so MIA the last 7 months, I have been so so busy, but now that I have a few weeks of calm, I hope to be writing a bit more and maybe finish this story up soon! Thank you all for your constant support, you are amazing!

xx - Sidney