Thirty-Two

"Are you okay?" Crystal asked as soon as she walked through the door.

I shook my head and she pulled me into a hug, "We're going to figure all of this out and all of us have your back."

"I just feel so shitty, even though Luke has assured me a bunch of times he doesn't blame me at all," I sighed.

She pulled away and rubbed my shoulders, "We'll get through this, Ads."

We walked together to our kitchen where everyone was standing around drinking coffee, since it was early for most of us. Crystal and Michael were the last ones to arrive, so we were able to start now that everyone was in attendance.

"Okay, let's start by reading the article, to see exactly what they leaked and what we need to fix, I guess," Luke sighed, opening his laptop.

"According to a recent audio clip of Adalyn Hemmings, she and husband, Luke Hemmings, did not know each other prior to their supposed private ceremony on March 8, 2020. In fact, she revealed that the couple married in Vegas. So what all has this couple told us that's a lie?" Luke read out.

"So obviously they know that all of us lied, how do we fix this and not ruin your reputation?" Ashton asked the group.

"We have to come clean and apologize, obviously, but then we need to make it abundantly clear that Adalyn and I actually care for each other now," Luke replied.

"But will they even believe us anymore?" I asked.

"That is what nobody will be able to guess until we actually put something out there," Andrew sighed.

"I know it's not really what we want to do, but could we say the audio clip and paperwork is doctored?" Calum asked.

"We could, but then I wouldn't be able to sue the damn reporter who trespassed on private property," Luke grumbled.

"So if they decide to come clean, what are the chances it will affect the band in a significant way, now that our album is out and we've finished our tour?" Michael asked.

"The chances aren't as high now as they were back in March," Andrew informed us.

"I could care less about ruining my reputation at this point, I want to make it clear that my relationship is no longer fraudulent, like the audio clip makes it out to be," Luke chimed in.

"And let's just be clear that that was purposeful editing on their part, at the end of that whole talk I told my sister how much I loved Luke now and that I would not trade our relationship for anything in the world," I added in.

"Fuck the media," Calum grumbled.

"Can we get that on a cake please?" I asked, trying to lighten the mood at least a little bit. Everyone laughed, but the mood quickly became somber again.

"This is probably the last thing you would expect me to say, but what if we go on Twitter to see what the fans are saying?" Crystal suggested, "They're the audience whose opinions matter and if we cater our response to them, that will significantly decrease the chances of things going south for the band."

"Some of the fans have met you personally, Adalyn, they may be the ones to come to your defense the fastest. And I don't know about the fans, but all of us have noticed how significantly happier Luke is now compared to February," She continued.

"I agree, as much as they can drag into us sometimes, they can also be the first to come to our aid when we need them the most," Ashton added in.

"Okay, so everyone open Twitter, I guess, and see what you can find."

We all pulled out our phones and started scrolling through fan account feeds. On my end, there were a lot of negative tweets, but all it would take was that one supportive tweet.

"I knew it was a publicity stunt, I can't believe they lied to us, how do we know what to believe?" Luke mumbled as he scrolled through his phone.

"I knew something fishy was up, I never should have trusted her" Michael sighed.

"Luke would have never done that if his own free will, she must've drugged him," Ashton gawked, "Um unfollowing you."

"They're going to regret that comment for the rest of their lives," Calum chuckled to Ashton.

"WAIT!" Crystal yelled, "I found the one!"

We all turned our attention to her. "Really?"

But then her shoulder slumped, "Nevermind, it's from last week."

We all let out a collective sigh before going back to looking on our own. There was a common theme in all of the messages we looked at, they all dug into me, but kept Luke on a high pedestal, where he couldn't be hurt.

I tried not to let the messages get under my skin as I read them:

So much for everything that happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...

Luke should have never stayed with her...

I can totally see how fake their relationship is now...

"I can't look at these anymore," I sighed, trying to blink away the tears sitting in my eyes.

Luke was immediately at my side and pulled me into a hug, "Hey, it's okay. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere."

I sighed into his shirt, "I know."

"Wait, guys, I actually have one!" Ashton exclaimed.

My head immediately popped up to look in his direction, "What does it say?"

He cleared his throat before reading from his phone, "There must be some kind of misunderstanding in this whole thing. I met Luke and Adalyn when they were out one day and I have never seen two people look so happy. And before you come for me, there were no cameras in sight."

"That's the one!" Luke smiled.

"Who posted it?" I asked.

"Amelia 5sos," he answered.

I gasped, "That's the girl we met on your birthday!"

"How do you remember that?" Luke asked.

"Because she was the first fan who was actually excited to meet me."

-----

So... Do you think they'll be able to sort this situation out? Let me know! Thank you for your constant support!

xx - Sidney