Sixteen

"So, how is everything with you and Luke these past few weeks?" Crystal asked.

I glanced up from my work to look at my phone, where Crystal's face was, and smiled, "It going so well. We've gone on a few at home dates and he even took me to the beach to watch the sunset. Right now is the happiest I have been in a long time."

"That's good! I'm so glad that you two are happy together. I honestly didn't know if I would ever see Luke happy again after his awful breakup with Nikki, they were so serious and everyone thought that he was going to propose to her, and then all of the sudden it was just over," Crystal gushed out. It was obvious she regretted what she said immediately after she said it because he hand flew over her mouth.

"I'm so sorry Adalyn! I probably should have just kept my mouth shut," She apologized.

"Hey, it's okay Crys," I promised her. However, on the inside I was both frustrated and confused. It honestly made a lot of sense that Luke was going to propose to his ex, but what also through me for a loop is he said he was over her in Vegas, but maybe he had a different reason why he went to Vegas. I definitely needed to talk to him ASAP.

"Good! I really don't know what I would do if I had upset you!" Crystal sighed in relief, pulling me out of my thoughts and back into reality.

"Well Crys, it's getting a little late and I have to fix dinner. We'll talk again soon?" I asked her.

"Yes! I'll probably call you tomorrow," She informed me.

"Bye, love you!" I told her.

"Love you too," She smiled. I quickly pressed the end call button on my phone and organized all of the papers on my desk before heading down the stairs to the kitchen.

I decided to make some spaghetti, so I started heating a big pot of water on the stove before moving to the cabinet to grab the pasta, along with sauce and green beans. I started heating up the sauce in a separate pan before opening up the green bean cans and pouring them into a glass bowl to heat up in the microwave. It didn't take very long before everything was done and Luke entered the kitchen, clearly having smelled the finished meal.

"This smells amazing, thank you for making dinner," He thanked me as he wrapped his arms around my torso and pulled my back into his chest.

"You're very welcome," I smiled, turning around to give him a kiss, "Now eat up!"

He eagerly grabbed a plate and loaded it up before taking a seat at the island. I did the same and sat down next to him.

"How is your songwriting going?" I asked him.

"It's going really well. I've been feeling very inspired recently," He informed me.

"That's good, I need you to keep making good music," I laughed.

He rolled his eyes, "You would love my music even if it was bad."

I though for a moment, "Maybe, but I'd prefer if it was good." We both shared a laugh before it went silent. I cleared my throat and set my fork down before turning to Luke. It was now or never to have the conversation I had been playing out in my head.

"Luke?" I asked nervously, fidgeting with the wedding ring on my finger.

"Yes Adalyn?" He responded.

I pulled the ring off of my finger and held it out to him. I watched his eyes grow wide as I sucked in a breath, "Was this ring meant for somebody else?" I asked him.

"Shit Adalyn, I don't know how to answer that," He sighed, running his fingers through his long hair.

"Luke please just tell me the truth, I want to know," I sighed.

He groaned and looked down at his feet, "Yes, the ring was meant for my ex-girlfriend, but then I found out she was cheating on me and then she broke it off before I got the chance to ask her if she would marry me."

I took his hand and pushed his chin up, so he was looking at me. "Luke, what was the real reason why you were in Vegas that night?"

He took a deep breath before speaking to me, "I was in Vegas because I wanted to get laid, but then I ended up married instead."

I stayed silent.

"You probably hate me now don't you, you think I'm just another shit excuse of a man," He sighed.

"Luke, I don't hate you and I don't think you are a bad guy. Honestly, I can't judge you because I was in the same position as you in Vegas. I went there to get over my ex, the same reason as you," I informed him.

"So you don't hate me?" He asked.

"No, I don't hate you. I just wanted the truth."

"I'll be an open book from now on, I promise," He told me, giving both of my hands a squeeze.

"I do have one more question then," I offered up.

"What is it?" He asked me.

"Do you ever wish you could get back with your ex?" I asked.

He shook his head, "No Adalyn, not in a million years. She was so bad for me and honestly I wasn't able to see it until I met you. You helped me see what a loving relationship looks like Addy, and for that I am forever grateful."

"The same goes for me. My ex wasn't even half the man you are Luke. I'm so glad I've ended up with you Luke, even if our situation is a little bit different than a typical relationship." I smiled

"So we're good?" He asked.

"Yeah, but maybe we can go get a new ring at some point," I suggested.

"I can make that happen, we'll get you a ring that screams your name," He promised.

"You're amazing Luke," I smiled.

"As are you Adalyn," He grinned before leaning in for a kiss.

-----

Hey everyone! So, we know the real reason Luke was in Vegas... Let me know your thoughts on the comments. Also, don't forget to vote if you are enjoying this story!!

xx - Sidney