Twenty-Two

It was early morning on the tour bus and everyone was still asleep while I was mostly awake. I had started the night in my own bed, but ended up crawling into Luke's bed sometime after midnight because the bus air conditioning was very cold. Of course he didn't mind, all he did was pull me close to his chest and kiss my head before falling back asleep. I had fallen asleep not long after that and was now awake eight hours later, watching Luke sleep peacefully.

I admired the way his curls fell over his face and how the stubble on his chin was just out of the prickly stage. I also noticed that he had some stage makeup from the previous nights show smudged on his face because he had been too tired to take it all off. He was the perfect man and I couldn't believe he was mine.

"I can feel you watching me," Luke whispered, a smile sneaking onto his face while his eyes were still shut. I mentally kicked myself, of course his weird sixth sense of telling when people are looking at him would kick in.

"Just thinking about how you're mine," I whispered back, pushing a few curls out of his face.

"I am," he muttered, pulling me closer to his bare chest.

"Happy birthday by the way," I told him.

One of his eyes peeled open for the first time, "Thank you love."

"Do you want to get up and go get breakfast together?" I asked him.

"No, I wanna sleep some more," he muttered, burying his face into the crook of my neck. I laughed quietly as I wrapped my arms around his neck and played with his hair for a moment.

"Okay, we can sleep," I told him before turning around in his arms, so my back was to his chest. I placed my hand on his hands and he began to trace his thumb across my hand which slowly pulled me into a second sleep.

I woke up again closer to ten in the morning and somehow everybody was still sleeping. Either they went to bed way later than Luke and I had or they were hungover because there was no way they could have slept that long otherwise.

I tilted my head up to find that Luke was awake, scrolling through his phone.

"You wanna go get breakfast now?" I asked, tracing his jawline with my pointer finger.

He smiled, as he looked down at me, "I would love to."

"Where do you wanna go?" I asked before sliding out of the bed and grabbing clothes the change into.

"There's this breakfast place that I've been to in town before that I think would be good," He replied as he also got out of bed.

"Sounds great, I'm going to get dressed and then I'll be ready," I whispered, careful not to wake the others. Luke nodded in response and I headed off to the bathroom to get changed. I slid out of the shorts I had slept in and pulled on a pair of dark washed high waisted jeans that had multiple buttons instead of a zipper that were also pretty distressed. I then changed into a dark red tube top and added small gold hoops and a gold necklace that had an L charm on it for Luke. Then, I slid my wedding ring on to finish off my outfit. For my makeup, I only put on some concealer, filled in my eyebrows, and added some sparkle to the inner corners of my eyes and mascara to complete the look. I brushed through my hair and ran the straightener through some crazy pieces before exiting the bathroom.

I saw Luke waiting for me on one of the couches when I exited the room, "You ready?" He asked.

"Yeah," I said as I slipped on some black sandals. I grabbed my purse and phone before we headed off of the bus.

"Will the others care that we went to breakfast without them?" I asked as I put on the sunglasses that were in my purse.

"Nah, they'll all just want to go to dinner together or something," He shrugged as he intertwined his fingers with mine.