Chapter 45 : Guest

" Life is but a walking shadow. "

                                          - William Shakespeare

"What are your plans, Willow?"

I turned my head from the window and looked up at my mother, her beautiful face marred with worry and sadness. It was the same look everyone gave me nowadays. And I hated it.

"What do you mean, ma?" I murmured, turning back to gaze mindlessly at the cars hurtling down the street. I could see Mel sitting up straighter from her position on my bed.

We'd flown back to New York the very next day after the...incident.

"Honey, you've been cooped up in your room for nearly two months. You don't speak to us, you don't eat. You barely sleep anymore," She took a deep breath, "Azrael comes here almost everyday." She whispered the last part.

I stiffened.

"Ma, please." My voice caught in my throat.

I had cried. Cried for two months and now all I felt was this numbness, I felt dead inside. But hearing his name, it was still painful.

I remember the first time he had visited, it was just a few hours after I reached home. I was upstairs when I heard his voice, he was begging Dad to just let him see me. And just by his voice, my breath had got uneven, my fingers trembled. I had got a panic attack.

Since then he had not tried to see me but I knew he secretly came here everyday. I've seen his car parked down the street from morning to night.

Maybe he was just waiting for me to come out.

"Mel, honey, what about you? Are you just going to accompany her all day long?"

She shrugged,"It doesn't matter,"

My mother sighed, "Your grandmother called, she said that....maybe you could transfer from Glasgow to a University in Paris. She said she could arrange it. For Mel too, if she is interested." She said hesitantly.

I paused. Transferring? That meant I could never go back to Glasgow.

I would never see Azrael. 

"Mel?" She prodded when I didn't answer.

"I'll go where she goes." She said nonchalantly, looking down at her fingers.

No.

I wouldn't do that to Zach.

Sweet, protective Zach who calls me everyday to ask me if I'm fine but never tries to justify his bestfriend. Zach, who makes my bestfriend laugh.

"Think about it, both of you. It's a good opportunity if you want to get away from everything but remember running away from problems doesn't solve anything." She said and kissed mine and Mel's forehead before softly closing the door behind her.