Chapter: 31

If one could feel the blood boiling and the heart numbing at the same time, it was how Estella was feeling for hours. Every single vein in the body screamed, begging to pop out. 

No, it can't be. 

Estella never had felt a betrayal this big.

Why me? Tanya might be wrong. 

But the proofs were solid. There was no place for denial as the pile of truth was like a thousand bees stinging her one after another at the same spot.

 Her heart sank, eyes puffed and tired, and all she could think of calling Edward at the moment and confronting him so she could make him say what a piece of shit he was  

He might be a psycho, Estella. Tanya had told her. We should think about our move before letting him know that we know his identity. 

Was this game to him. Estella had screamed. What did I do to deserve this? 

He is one hell of a shady man. Tanya hs said. We don't know what else he has in his sleeves. 

The next day after mustering all the willpower to not call Edward, she was out for ways to get his blood. With all of Tanya's information about his family and background, it became a lot easy fo find buried secrets, and turns out, there were quite a few. Tanya helped a lot and asked for every favor she could but in the end, all she could find were rumors based on old and odd loophole-filled cases wiped clean of Blake's name.

Half disappointed, Estella resorted to her last hope—someone who might be helpful if any one of her stars was lucky. 

The penthouse was empty as now their business has bloomed in a year, and they had fewer meetings. Lopez was a hard man to track as he was the least active member and Estella did everything to bring him out of his den. At last, she found him in a restaurant surrounded by a couple of high-profile businessmen. 

She fixed her disoriented face by applying makeup and tinting her lips. Relieved her swollen eyes were gone, she recalled the purpose of the visit. The crescent moon was now hiding behind the dark clouds and Estella couldn't help but curse. The rainy season was getting longer than it was supposed to be. 

Her eyes sharpen as she saw people leaving the table and when Lopez approached his car, she was on her heels, taking large strides and reaching him before he could leave. 

"Hey there, Lopez!" 

As expected, surprised, Lopez stared back at her, his steps halting. "Miss Sergeant! Is that a coincidence?" 

"I don't believe in coincidences anymore." She said. "I've been wanting to meet you but you seem reluctant to not take my calls. " 

Lopez smiled as if she wasn't attacking him bluntly. "We both are in the same line. In business. Sometimes I can't just step away to take even a single call. Those people back there are worth fortunes." 

"Am I a just fortune to you, too?" She said. Beating behind the bush was never her forte. "Not that matters much at the moment as I have much more pressing matters."

Lopez signed, attempting to continue his walk to the car before he said. "If it could wait, I'd be grateful." 

"I know who Edward is," she spoke like a sizzling fire. "And I for sure know what a manipulating bastard he is!" 

If the world could stop for a minute, that was it. "I'm sorry but I don't interfere between lovers' quarrel."

"He is an imposter!" She shrieked, not caring if passers-by mistook her for a crazy lady. "There's nothing about love between us anymore. How could you all do that to me? Did the other guys know?"