Chapter 10

"Sorry I wasn't looking, ahead," Estella muttered to the blonde boy she bumped into the narrow hallway after she came out of the ladies room.

"Oh yeah, it's totally fine." He flushed, indicating at his phone in his palm. The text screen suggested he was busy messaging while walking.

Pursing a smile, she moved as same as the guy did and coincidently ended up the same way together. That thing happened again when she tried move to the left side.

They both laughed at the funny situation.

"Me first." She told the cute man with a freckled face and moved away, standing next to the window which was sealed. He shot her a warm smile before walking away and disappearing into the hallway.

Estella wasn't a fan of the rain. She easily caught a cold and the way her body was freezing in the weather after being soaked, she was expecting a sick day soon.

Watching closely, the rain's pitter-patter mixed with the rhythm of music blaring inside the bar. She found the thunderous atmosphere much better sight. It was better than listening to Edward.

"I haven't seen you before, " the blonde guy reappeared. He must have returned from the bathroom stall as the direction he went to led there only. "Name's Nick."

"I don't live here." She kept her eyes fixed outside.

Nick came next to her and stood for a minute or so. Estella was feeling much better and Nick was a good distraction to take her mind off the cold.

"So where are you from?"

"Brooklyn. Came here for work though I think the choice of day could've been better."

"The weathers getting crazy." He nodded, tilting his head against the glassed window and peeked a glance up the sky. "It's getting worse."

She joined him in the sightseeing which was nothing but blurry images of shops and homes around. The rain wasn't going to stop sooner.

"Here." Nick went for his jacket but she stopped him.

"It's alright. I should probably get back."

"Or you could stay. Just a little longer" He suggested, digging his hands into the deep pocket of his long coats and fished out two cans. "I have beer."

"You carry these with you?" She was amazed.

"In weather like these, " he said. "It's an old habit."

She half smiled doing math in her head. A little chat won't hurt and it wasn't like she was having a good time with Edward anyway. Also, it could be a good way to distract herself from the weather.

She stalked, sitting on stairs next to a boiler room.

"So bad day, huh?" He asked, opening a can and handing it over to Estella.

"Not exactly. It's more boring day than it should be" She replied.

By the time she was almost finished with her beer,  Nick had told her he migrated from Brazil to America to chase after her long life love to propose her, but she turned him down a week ago and now he was planning on moving back. She couldn't help but think what Edward told her 'maybe you didn't fight hard.'

She shrugged, not wanting to say it out loud in front of him, making him feel bad like she felt. No one knew their story better than them and she wasn't going to be the judge of that, suggesting him things left and right.

Although, it felt warm talking to him. If only could get a bed, she'd sleep like a baby.

Nick now sat close, next to her and they sat in silence for a few minutes when his fingers brushed her cheeks and she almost jerked off, taken aback. He quickly withdrew away his hand after tucking a strand to her ear and she felt at ease, with a flicker of awkwardness in the air.