Chapter 36

He had planned it out. He always had and for that she hated him. That's how the trap was set and she was caught like a mouse, and the cage was becoming smaller but now living in his house, she felt surrounded by a bunch of spectators.

She was curious about what was going on inside his mind because even when she was in his home, he had discouraged any conversation with his family members. It wasn't like she was looking forward to meeting them, but it was becoming a notice.

Elvis, his brother, made no comment when he walked past her, down the stairs, barely glancing at her. On the other hand, his mother and sister looked eagerly at her when she accompanied Edward downstairs but no greetings were exchanged as they left the house.

The family was far from a normal one and that might complicate things even further.

"You're awfully quiet," he commented after rounding the car and grabbing the driver's seat of his car.

Estella put on the seatbelt. "Trust me. I'm thinking of more than a hundred ways to make you suffer."

"Cute," he said, turning on the gas.

"How long are you planning on keeping me here?" She asked.

The steering wheel slid under his palm. "Till death do part us."

She gave him a disdained look. "Is there a saner version of you? You know, less delusional and more practical?"

"You're talking to him now," he answered, feeling so amused. "What would you like for breakfast?"

"Your mother had a whole feast ready at the table," She remembered the dining table filled with food.

"I know you're used to your mom's cooking you fresh meals each time." He said. "But you can ignore Vanessa. Don't engage with Nora as well. She talks a lot. Mostly gibberish."

"Why?"

He looked at her with a soft and small smile. As he brushed the side of her cheek affectionately, she flinched at the sudden movement which made him smile even wider and that's when he returned his hand to his side. "She's my stepmom. Not much is there we have in common."

His explanation was ridiculous. "You just don't respect her." It was an assumption based on her observation. Vanessa was a warm person and she could never mistake the longing of her son's affection in her eyes when she waited for him at the dining table this morning.

"I respect her. I do." He said with a firm affirmation. "But her priority will be her children. Always. Elvis and I are going to be neck to neck someday. And that day, we will be standing apart so I'm making things easier for me. Because I want to enjoy to myself the fullest when I crush all of them."

"And there goes my plan of kidnapping one of your family members in exchange for mine?" she said. "You don't give a shit if anything happens to them."

"Yes. And I'm letting you know all of this so you'll get comfortable easily." He said.

The car's engine died down as he pulled over at a restaurant. With the familiar smell of rose and cinnamon, the chocolate-colored tiled floorings, and the archaic wooden walls, Estella was hit with a memory of a year and a half back. It was the first place they had dinner together and the same night Edward had put up a business proposal.

The place was empty as expected. It was too soon for opening however she was sure Edward paid the owner not only to open this early but also set a romantic backdrop. It was a subtle setup but the dim light, a romantic playlist on the music player playing faintly, tuning so well with the place, and finally the table— well decorated but minimalistic.