Chapter 42

The last remnants of the whiskey swirling inside the two glasses lay idle on the table between the two men sitting in the room. The sun had set hours ago, and the source of illumination was completely dependent on the ceiling lights over their head.

Edward flicked his eyes momentarily at his phone and grunted inwardly before averting his eyes back at the man, the captain of the NYPD.

The profile of Jasper—the real Jasper was wrapped under the file lying on the table, bundled with secrets of Jasper and possibly his friend, Benji, waiting for Edward to explore and exploit.

Jasper Wolfe was Jasper Freeman two years back and it was probably god's wish that it came to Edward attention, a perfect chance to hit two birds with one stone.

"You're sure," Edward spoke first and the captain, Franklin nodded.

"If you want the arrest, I could talk to a judge and—"

"There's no need for that," Edward said, his voice turning dark. "I'd like to keep him for myself."

"That could stir up the media and a hell of lot of other people," he mentioned his worries, a light crease forming on his forehead.

"There's no judge that will sign for a warrant or arrest." Edward arrested his throat. "His friend, Benji's father won't let it. They both were in the car when the hit-and-run happened. If they got away that time, there's no problem getting away this time, too."

Franklin finished his drink, his worries rooting further. Unsure if ratting out Edward with the information was a wise choice. He was getting money for it but he seemed uncertain if Edward was going to act discreetly. A businessman's son could easily get away but a cop wouldn't if any of it came out.

"You're not going to kill him?"

"Only if you do not rat me out to my father," Edward answered him with utmost honesty. Hearing that, the captain was alert and in fear than ever. Edward calmly smiled. "Let's not run into each other again."

Hoping just the same, Franklin was on his feet in the next seconds, mind-boggled, but too late to say or take back the meeting that had finished. He was out of sight and Edward glanced at his phone, a smile appearing on his face as he read the text. She was home, a lot later than usual. But she was back, finally.

He sighed and dialed for his assistant who popped in instantly, just as eager as him to get home. "Keep my schedule tight for tomorrow."

Edward pulled the drawer open of his massive table and shuffled through files, hoping to take a few of them at home for study. A clank inside the drawer snapped his eye to the object, a leather-strapped watch sitting idly inside.

Grabbing the watch in his hand, he reminisced the last time he wore it. It was Estella's gift to him, a token of appreciation that he showed her support in her weakest times. She had bought the watch for Jay and waited for him to return so she could gift him, but he never came back.

"Your schedule's been cleared for the whole day tomorrow, sir," he said.

Edward gazed back, darkly. "On whose account?"

"Your father," he answered, nervously.

The watch under his palm dug into his skin when he held it tighter. "Leave," he said and the assistant was out, not wanting to be scolded.

The desk calendar in front of him looked back and that's when he noticed a small circle drawn on the 13th of April with a red sharpie. He pocketed the watch and dumped the calendar in the trash can before grabbing his keys and Jasper's file and storming out of his office to the elevator and eventually to his car.