Chapter 38

Delmont, named after its original owner who was French, was a high-rise Greek-inspired architecture building with three floors, magnificently built, surrounded by a vast green lush garden, its grass freshly cut and trimmed.

Edward was staring out the window, overlooking the guests arriving at the fundraiser party, admiring the added touch to the building his father now owned.

He unbuttoned his collar, feeling hot, the taste of champagne lingering on his tongue. The string quartet played downstairs, entertaining the guests and media while Edward waited, feeling bored, and grabbed another glass of his distraction from a waiter passing by.

Once he used to be part of the family's rendezvous, his father pushing him farther ahead, showing off the inheritor of his empire.

Yeah, used to!

It was changed when Edward was halfway through college and the focus was shifted to his younger brother without a thought. A point where Edward was starting to care about the life his father was preparing for him to.

Wait till I'm prepared.

His eyes flicked at the woman whom he was waiting for, and a smile crept back onto his lips, spreading like an illness. Estella climbed out of the car, wearing a tight-fitted shimmery black dress that went down—below her knees with a high back slit, making her walk easily and gracefully.

Edward moved away from the window, stalking toward the railing, and settled his gaze at the entrance as Estella entered, the room suddenly started to feel more lively.

He stayed put, wanting to watch her movements and involvement with the people. As far as he knew, Estella knew no one, and the invitation suggested that his father was going to insert himself into her life directly this time. Mr. Blake's indirect involvement was unknown to Estella and Edward was hoping to keep it that way, for her sake.

Nora made the first move, engaging with Estella, giggling and probably complimenting her dress and hair. She was taking his breath away and he was imagining himself alone with her, holding her, feeling her, losing his senses, and then melting into her thoughts and soul.

Estella was nervous, half talking to Nora and half eyeing around her, looking for someone.

Me. He smiled at the assurance of his thought.

However, the look on Estella's face changed as her eyes locked with his father, and they held their gaze for a few more seconds before she looked away, becoming uncomfortable. She grabbed a glass of Stoli, gulping it down in seconds, and vying for another one soon after.

Vanessa appeared as well, attempting to get to know Estella as well. His stepmother never hid her attempts to get close to anything that Edward cared about and for years she wanted to bond with him but he wasn't going to because when the power struggle of Blake Corporation would be at its peak, she would choose Elvis, her blood.

No expectations, no disappointments.

As soon as Mr. Blake appeared in front of the microphone, the string quartet faded, and Edward texted Estella who read the message, and looked up, meeting Edward's eyes.

The color on her pretty face was back and she seemed like she held no hate in her for him as she looked back. She even may have smiled but was too good at hiding it if she did.

The guests, too many to count, surrounded the stage as Estella ascended the stairs, her heels clicking on the tiled floor.

The hall downstairs was occupied by people from various rehab and correction facilities, represented by their founders, a whole group of doctors dressed for the party discussing the kids in need that were out in the world, suffering from psychological problems, a problem Edward knew all too well.