Chapter 40

Waking up, Estella's head throbbed as if hundreds of needles were prickling her head and it was followed by a heart-drumming pain as she cried after remembering why.

She was in Edward's room and he was absent. Checking the time, she scrambled off the bed and went to the bathroom.

By the time she was downstairs, the house was empty except for house helpers. She refrained from inquiring and rushed the breakfast that was served to her as she checked her messages. Tanya was back in the city and Estella had no better work than to meet her.

"Going somewhere?" The voice of Carlos snapped Estella's attention when she grabbed her purse and slipped her phone inside it.

"Why? You're gonna follow me like a puppy?" she said with a flat tone.

"It's my job to follow you like a puppy," he volleyed back. "So yes."

Estella moved to the front door, noticing Carlos shifting behind her. "I don't need you. Go back to Edward. I have some personal matters to deal with."

He was now right next to her but still maintained distance. "Don't worry. This puppy's hearing is not as sensitive as it should be."

She exhaled sharply and stopped at the parking area, near her car. "Then be discreet. I'm meeting a friend and if she saw you following you then she'll give you a lot more than just an evil eye."

"And that would be?" he smiled.

Estella unlocked her car and hopped inside. "A black eye."

Carlos's smile went wider but then he trekked back to his car and followed behind. Estella had a lot more things to do before she met Tanya and while Carlos was on her tail, she decided to lose him somehow.

She made her first stop at her insurance company for her house damage, discussed and filled in the documents then went to her next stop at a renovation service. While Estella was dreading to meet her mother if she was going to accept Mr. Blake's deal, she needed the house to be in the same way it used to be.

Carlos parked his car a few rows away in the underground lot and she took the elevator, hoping he would stay by the car.

Estella had several photos of her house's interior and after she decided on a few minor changes, she booked their services for her house renovation. It took her hours but she wanted the top-notch arrangements.

Tying her hair up with a hair claw, she took the elevator and punched the button for the first floor instead of the ground basement—the perfect way to cut him off her tail as she exited the building and took a cab, muttering the destination.

Tanya sat on the bench in the park, outside of her office that was a few blocks down. They ran toward each other as soon as their eyes met and engulfed themselves in a hug, and every straining feeling residing inside Estella melted like ice cream under the scorching sun.

"Oh god, I missed you." Tanya chimed, squeezing her once more before breaking the hug.

"Yeah, me too." she smiled back and they both sat on the bench. "I bought food."

"So fucking hungry!" she said, grabbing the brown bag from Estella. It was her lunch time so she grabbed hamburgers on the way. "Here!"

Tanya pulled out the two burgers after Estella uncapped the coke. "How was your event?"

"It was fine," she unwrapped her burger. "My partner and I are working on a new case. A few are pending too. I might have to fly out of NYC to cover my story this month." Tanya took a large bite of her burger.

Estella nodded her head and silence fell as they both devoured their food and sipped coke. She glanced around a few times in case Carlos had made his way back to her despite her attempt to steer clear of his sight. She relaxed when she couldn't find him.