Chapter 12

When Edward was twelve, he wanted to be free. Free from his family and his school friends. Mr. Blake's and his constant need for dragging Edward to accompany him in the business so could develop an interest in the business. He hated that most of the time and wanted to run away. The last time he did that, he was thirteen and his bodyguards found him in Queens, dragged by some muggers, probably to smuggle him. Since then, he had been under watchful eyes.

"Are you even listening to me?" Elvis sat across the table with folders in his hand as he discussed inventory with him.

Edward silently nodded as he absentmindedly toyed with the crystal paper holder on his desk, his brows furrowed and mind scathing.

When he had returned from Montclair, he was interrogated by his father for not showing up last night and missing the meeting in the conference room of their building. He was left pissed when the conversation was over and then Elvis showed up, maddening him further. 

Edward's mansion was one of the best, facing Jamaican bay, and across it, the Atlantic ocean—their waves gently crawling the shore, and it's blue surface always reminded him of Estella's eyes. His room faced a good portion of water spread on the bay and he could hear the waves colliding with each other in the silence of the night. 

When dinner rolled around, he took his usual chair, digging into the food without waiting for any greetings. His stepmother, Vanessa was next to her handing the pudding over to her daughter, Nora. 

Edward never loved neither his stepmom, not Elvis, although Nora was somewhat he could really talk to. She reminded her of him, the carefree attitude he only had for a few years until it was taken away as well.

Vanessa was tall, beautiful with olive skin and glossy back hair, all of her features ultimately inherited by Elvis and Nora. Her love for each of her children, including him, was the same.

She used to make him pancakes, pat his back until Edward ate, and always expected him to say something. It took him years to understand that thank you and I love you too were the words she wanted to hear.

And it took him a long time to understand why he was having a hard time connecting with her. This is what led him into taking psychological therapies from Mrs. Jones in secrets.

Since the age of twelve, Edward was raised by his dad in the pretense of handling his business as early as possible. He hated the idea of being controlled at such a young age when his neighbors' kid played while he was chauffeured almost everywhere his father went. By the age of eighteen, he was amazed by the fact how he grown up to like the business his grandfather created and his father later on handled. Now it was him going to be running the reign.

Well, almost.

It was a week before high school graduation when Edward had a severe accident. He had to miss his graduation ceremony and shortly after, Mr. Blake's attention was shifted from Edward to Elvis and he was left to wonder what caused it.

His father had his hopes up for years and he simply snatched every last ounce of it without giving him an explanation. He waited for him to tell him, but he never did.

And since then Edward completely lost his shit with everything. Dangerous ideas infiltrated his mind and he needed help to stop himself from doing something that would harm his dreams. Even his own imagination sometimes scared him.

It was Mrs. Jones and she told him what his problem was and since then, every second Saturday of the month, Edward had been receiving therapies in the dark. He could say whatever things came in his mind.

He, also, had forbidden her to take notes on him but after a year she convinced him it was for her to compare and construct his improvements.

Over a few years, Mrs. Jones taught him how a normal person reacts to a particular situation. She taught him how to control his mood swings, the tendency of harming others, and rage.