Chapter 19

Having lost Jay, Estella saw her mother break down in the worst way possible. For as long as she could remember, it was always the three of them, together and fulfilled.

Estella was always daddy's little girl and Jay always granted her everything before she could open her mouth. He was the package of the best man ever; a gift of life.

She and her mother were used to Jay's absence for weeks, sometimes even months as he had to travel around the States in order to finish his tenure. In a span of thirty years, Jay was a known figure in the construction field, and he was often called upon to build enormous buildings with unique architecture. Another thing to be proud of. It would be a lie if Estella denied that her need to earn a name for herself came from him, always.

Every time he had gone away, he came, but not this time. He was taken away from them, forever.

Jay's accident was a hit and run case, the culprits still on loose. Tanya had been kind to keep Estella away from the investigation as it had been a week and she wasn't in a position to even accept the fact that her father was gone. Earlier this morning, the police told them about the culprit's identities after investigating the number plates and their names were circulating everywhere.

Her mother sat on the chair accompanied by neighbors, and a few other ladies she hung out in social gatherings or ladies parties. Her mother was a social bird and having done with her farming days before marriage, she was left with excessive time in her hand. Lilah genuinely had no desire to work as she loved homemaking—especially cooking and feeding the two most important people in her life. Alas, it was just her now.

The living room had been transformed after the funeral ceremony. Guests came with their greatest condolences—a few of her father's closest friends from work said kind words at Jay's sudden departure.

Tanya held her friend in a side hug the entire time.

She glanced at Lilah who was motionless in her chair, her eyes and ears fixed at the man in the middle of the room who shared his memorable time he enjoyed with Jay to everyone present in the hall. Mrs. Smith, the next-door neighbor caressed Lilah's hair in gentle comfort.

The crowd diminished by ten p.m. leaving only three people in the room at the end. Lilah cried uncontrollably and Estella ran to hug her mother.

Engulfing each other, both women cried while Tanya stood a few feet away, a sadness scarred over her face.

They were grieving and after earning a reassurance nod from her friend, Tanya left them both alone. There was nothing else she could now. The pain was their own to bear and no matter how much they wanted to share it with someone, it was impossible and the impact of it doubled each day.

Estella wanted to escape pain as it was too much. She was heartbroken at the loss and when things denied getting any easier, Lilah was distancing herself, from almost everything. She wouldn't eat or talk. The only way Estella could find was to Lilah consume nutrients we're through vitamin capsules and juices.

Since the accident, Lilah had not once entered the kitchen.

Minutes passed, or maybe hours, and when her mother finally moved, she stalked straight to her empty room. Estella barely had requested her to stay but she was cold and quiet and out of sight.

Estella looked around the house, feeling utterly lonely.

Her heart began to feel heavy and she spilled tears over tears. It had been just a week and she wished the pain to be over soon. She couldn't take it anymore. She wanted her mom back who cooked breakfast, laughed around, and even let Estella swear without getting her ears pulled. Things were about to change.