𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑋𝐼

─────⊰ ✧

─────⊰ ✧.*✦*.✧ ⊱─────

   𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐏𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐌𝐄𝐋𝐎𝐃𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐎𝐅 the birds' songs accompanied the light breeze ruffling through the foliage. The four weeping Willow trees of the courtyard still had wet leaves from the spring rain that had fallen last night. The terracotta-coloured cobblestone path had small puddles of rainwater that slowly seeped into the ground, an earthy smell coming from the moist soil underneath the many flowers.

The entire courtyard was filled with all types of skillfully-grown, pink flowers. From sweet peas, snapdragons and delphiniums to the grandest hydrangea shrubs. Orchids spread over the walls alongside bright-green ivy. The small rose garden was enriched with peonies and astilbe, and everything was tied together with the cherry-blossom tree that stood proudly in the middle of the courtyard, slowly letting go of its petals.

Lucy entered the courtyard together with Eustace, Florence and Raiden through the spectacular arches that connected the castle with the courtyard. She'd seen the three kings walking through the enclosure whilst engaged in a heavy discussion and decided to talk to them. 'Good morning,' she greeted them cheerfully. 'Have any of you ever shopped in the Anvard Pass? The people are so kind.'

Peter eyed the basket in her arms as he walked over to them and quickly looked around to what was in it. 'They have bread over here, you know. There's no need to go to the town,' he said and bit his tongue before he was about to say something he'd regret saying to Lucy.

'Did you have fun?' Edmund asked, a smile appearing as soon as he saw Lucy's frown disappear.

She nodded happily and tightened her grip on her basket. 'Raiden showed us all around the Pass,' she answered.

'Thank you for keeping an eye on them and showing them around, Raiden. You're excused,' Peter said eventually, though he was surprised when Raiden bowed before him.

'It was my privilege, Your Majesty. Queen Lucy is a delight to guard. The people of Anvard love her.' He straightened himself again and nodded politely to everyone present in the garden as he made his way back into the castle.

Florence hadn't been in the garden yet, but she loved the small piece of nature hidden within the castle walls. It didn't feel as claustrophobic and the sweet scents of the pink flowers, shrubs and trees overwhelmed her for a moment. She sat down on a bench that was placed underneath the cherry-blossom tree and slowed down her breathing by observing the bench. The wood was worn down and softened by the centuries of people spent sitting on that very bench.

The wood hadn't fully dried yet, however, and so she could feel the chilly moisture permeating into the fabric of her slacks which she'd bought in the Pass with Lucy, Eustace and Raiden's help. She didn't mind it though. The coldness of the water snapped her out of the thoughts that paraded around her head, waltzing over her emotions in an attempt to tick her off once more.